Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Poll- What do you do to relax before bed? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2508)

Greg Davis 05-23-2008 05:19 AM

Poll- What do you do to relax before bed?

Curious what people do to relax and wind down at the end of the day?
(aside from a bout with the significant other)

Recently I've been trying out Tim Ferriss' suggestion of reading fiction (haven't read fiction in a loong time- I think he might be right that non-fiction is for during the day and fiction is a good place to visit before bed).

Garrett Smith 05-23-2008 06:08 AM

No talking about business before bed. No suspense/drama/horror/action TV either.

Chamomile tea. L-tryptophan. PharmaGABA. Revitalizing Sleep Formula. Mix, match, omit, whatever's clever.

Hot shower/bath.

There's two main options, IMO. Avoiding things that excite the CNS and doing things to downregulate the CNS. If I do the former, I'm good to go.

Darryl Shaw 05-23-2008 06:38 AM

I wind down for the day with a good book and a glass of whisky followed by a set or two of pull-ups which for some reason I find relaxing.

Derek Simonds 05-23-2008 07:25 AM

I have read Tim's book and enjoy reading before bed to relax. I don't have the problem with fiction vs non fiction. I can read either and still go to sleep. I do have a very thick book on the Kennedy brothers that I am trying to finish and whenever I am struggling with relaxing I bust that out and am asleep within a couple of minutes.

Other than that I have found the most relaxing thing I do is putting my children to bed at night. We will read a little together, recap the day, plan for what tomorrow is going to bring then snuggle. If you have kids you probably know what I am talking about. On more than one occasion my wife has had to wake me up after I fell asleep holding my daughter or son.

After putting the kids to sleep I don't turn on the TV or the Computer unless absolutely necessary. That and a couple of other things I picked up from Lights Out really make it easy for me now.

John Alston 05-23-2008 07:41 AM

One more vote for the Revitalizing Sleep formula.

Also, I'm a fan of letting it get darker inside as the night progresses. Spend some time with the lights out, not staring into the tv.

Steven Low 05-23-2008 09:41 AM

Doesn't really matter for me. Just get in and roll my eyes back and I can usually fall asleep within 5 minutes. Even after doing a set of pushups or pullups or whatever.

However, if I've had a nap within like 4-5 hours I usually can't fall asleep for like 30+ minutes. Kinda sucks.

Dave Van Skike 05-23-2008 10:15 AM

Laudanum

Veronica Carpenter 05-23-2008 10:37 AM

I surf the net until I fall asleep on my keyboard because dialup is too slow. :p

Mike ODonnell 05-23-2008 10:40 AM

Family Guy.....it dumbs down my brain nicely!

I can't read a book (fiction or non-fiction)...as that wakes up my mind too much.

Garrett Smith 05-23-2008 11:16 AM

Dave,
Is that to counter the mescaline?