Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   numbness in the hook grip (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2761)

Eva Claire Synkowski 07-26-2008 09:27 AM

numbness in the hook grip

my right thumb has been going numb (that tingling "falling asleep" feeling) in the hook grip on cleans / deadlifts (not snatches) only. it was happening for a couple weeks; i just took a rest week, but the sensation came back pretty much instantaneously today even at light loads (~70%). no real elbow / shoulder / neck pain to speak of.

ideas?

Dave Van Skike 07-26-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski (Post 35406)
my right thumb has been going numb (that tingling "falling asleep" feeling) in the hook grip on cleans / deadlifts (not snatches) only. it was happening for a couple weeks; i just took a rest week, but the sensation came back pretty much instantaneously today even at light loads (~70%). no real elbow / shoulder / neck pain to speak of.

ideas?

I was glad when the numbness started....it's better than the searing pain that preceded it.

Greg Everett 07-26-2008 04:32 PM

Weird. Do as much mobility/stretching work as you can during the day and before training, especially that hook grip stretch - wrap thumb in fingers (girl punch) and ulnar deviate - tilt wrist to side away from thumb. should feel that stretching along base of thumb and into that side of the wrist. in between sets, shake the wrists out, pull hand away from arm to decompress, etc.

Eva Claire Synkowski 07-26-2008 04:59 PM

dave - the hook grip prior to the numbness was actually not painful... the numbness, however, much more irritating.

greg - on it. thanks.

Steven Low 07-26-2008 06:18 PM

Hmm, depends on where the numbness is on your thumb.. and depends how far it goes down into the hand. Ulnar nerve supplies some of the feeling, but so does the median nerve (into thenar muscles of thumb) a couple of others as well.

Basically, stretches and manual traction/decompression like Greg suggested should be able to fix the problem. I'd also consider self massage probably some type of myofascial to help release tight (forearm flexor) muscles, strengthening of your extensors (if you're lifting a lot there may be an imbalance leading to excessive tightening of flexors) and feeling around to break up any scar tissue/adhesion in the forearms.

Derek Maffett 07-27-2008 03:58 PM

Is your hook grip securing your thumb around the bar or crushing it against it? I had something similar going the first day of the recent cert but not since I started hooking my thumb more around the bar than directly under it.

Eva Claire Synkowski 07-28-2008 05:44 PM

steven - pretty much the length of the thumb only. thank you for the other suggestions. im willing to bet there is some scar tissue that hasn't manifested itself elsewhere.

derek - im pretty sure its around the bar, but thanks for the heads up.