Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Combat Sports (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   BJJ and Strength Training (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2778)

Travis Cruse 07-29-2008 04:27 PM

BJJ and Strength Training

If this topic has been covered somewhere else, I apologize for double-tapping it. But here is my question:

In an effort to up my strength-to-bodyweight ratio I have been incorporating some Starting Strength-type squat work (the full program later). On my current schedule, the heavy strength training and BJJ are on back-to-back days. I want to strength train and continue to roll, but I am considering doing them on the same day so I can take a true recovery day in between. I hope that makes sense. Here is my question in a nutshell...is rolling on my recovery day from lifting counterproductive to gaining mass and strength?

I think I already know the answer, but am looking for objective analysis. Thanks.

Steven Low 07-29-2008 07:07 PM

Depends how much BJJ you're doing.

In general, SS is a great standalone program. If you try to add stuff to it your strength gains will likely decrease. If you use a modified program like Gant's hybrid or MEBB you might see better results.

Derek Simonds 07-29-2008 07:31 PM

Here is my schedule. It is very flexible because I travel a lot for living. I basically work one major lift a day and assistance lifts plus met-con. I am 38 and I have played with a lot of different scenarios over the last year and this one seems to fit me well so far.

Monday AM Weights and Met-Con
Monday PM 2:30 Hours BJJ

Tuesday Off

Wednesday AM Weights and longer or multiple Met-Con

Thursday AM Weights and Met-Con
Thursday PM MMA and No-Gi

Friday Off

Saturday AM Weights and Met-Con
Saturday AM 1:30 BJJ

Sunday Off / Active Recovery

David Stout 08-01-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 35661)
Here is my schedule. It is very flexible because I travel a lot for living. I basically work one major lift a day and assistance lifts plus met-con. I am 38 and I have played with a lot of different scenarios over the last year and this one seems to fit me well so far.

Monday AM Weights and Met-Con
Monday PM 2:30 Hours BJJ

Tuesday Off

Wednesday AM Weights and longer or multiple Met-Con

Thursday AM Weights and Met-Con
Thursday PM MMA and No-Gi

Friday Off

Saturday AM Weights and Met-Con
Saturday AM 1:30 BJJ

Sunday Off / Active Recovery

Derek -

That's an interesting take. If you're willing and have time would you mind discussing some details on "Weights and Met-Con"

- David

Derek Simonds 08-01-2008 02:44 PM

My training log is here and I detail out all the stuff I do both weights and BJJ. Currently I am on a hybrid program that is modeled off of Gant's. For met-con I either do what Greg has posted on the main page or some bastard child variant of whatever Leo or Gant have done. I try to keep my met-cons to the 5 minute range so I am simulating a round in BJJ. I will do longer met-cons but am avoiding any over 20 minutes right now.

If you look at my log and have any questions I would love to answer them. My log is titled Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log. Gant's workout log is also a phenomenal resource for ideas as he is training in Judo.

Like I said if you see anything that you need clarity on just post or email me and I will help you out.

David Stout 08-03-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 36028)
My training log is here and I detail out all the stuff I do both weights and BJJ. Currently I am on a hybrid program that is modeled off of Gant's. For met-con I either do what Greg has posted on the main page or some bastard child variant of whatever Leo or Gant have done. I try to keep my met-cons to the 5 minute range so I am simulating a round in BJJ. I will do longer met-cons but am avoiding any over 20 minutes right now.

If you look at my log and have any questions I would love to answer them. My log is titled Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log. Gant's workout log is also a phenomenal resource for ideas as he is training in Judo.

Like I said if you see anything that you need clarity on just post or email me and I will help you out.

COOL! I'll check it out for sure and fire off any questions. I find interest in what you're up to since I'm a BJJ guy myself and am interested in how different training approaches impact (positively or negatively) one's training results in BJJ.

Thanks again!
David.

David Melrose 08-08-2008 10:25 PM

google steve maxwell.

For bjj S&C you cannot go wrong.

tell him melrose sent you.