Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   OHS vs Lunge (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2780)

Brandon Enos 07-29-2008 11:38 PM

OHS vs Lunge

If you were to design a program and had to pick between OHS and Lunges, and the other leg exercises being used were back squats and deadlifts rotated as Week 1 - Mon: BS, Wed: DL, Fri: OHS/lunge Week 2 - Mon: RDL, Wed: BS, Fri DL and so on. Which would you pick, OHS or lunge, and why?

I was trying to figure this out and cant come up with a good answer. I love the OHS because the flexibility is great; but unilateral strength is important and lunges are awesome for that.

Mike ODonnell 07-30-2008 06:09 AM

If you are involved in sports, I would do the lunge.

Go walking-lunge up an incline with something heavy over your head....will work your "core" too.

Allen Yeh 07-30-2008 06:21 AM

I would utilize the OHS as a WU exercise but not as a main exercise. OHS is great for flexibility and working the core...etc My OHS numbers went up without working the OHS directly, I think working a lunge or unilateral leg exercise like Bulgarian split squats would have more carryover.

Brandon Enos 07-30-2008 08:24 AM

Second question along this line, sorta. What would be chosen here, barbell bench press, dumbell bench press, or dumbell floor press, and why? The other exercises being rotared for pressing are pushup variations on Monday and dumbell shoulder presses on Wednesday, the bench/floor press would be on Friday.

Allen Yeh 07-30-2008 09:21 AM

What do you want to get out of benching would be my question.

Steven Low 07-30-2008 09:58 AM

No sprinting?

Well, I could understand OHS and lunge if you're doing Oly... but most other sports do require some form of running. Fast running.

Otherwise, I'd go with lunge and use OHS in warmup. Not incredibly taxing enough that you can go semi-heavy and still have a good workout if you wanted.

Brandon Enos 07-30-2008 10:01 AM

Just a third pressing movement. I want to try and work the same muscles but different ways each workout. So thats why I thought of pushups one day, shoulder presses another, and flat pressing a third; but Im open to suggestion as well.

Allen Yeh 07-30-2008 10:19 AM

I'd go with DB movements over barbell if you aren't specifically going for high BP numbers.

Db press from various angles, DB floor press, single arm DB press...etc.

Dave Van Skike 07-30-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Enos (Post 35675)
If you were to design a program and had to pick between OHS and Lunges, and the other leg exercises being used were back squats and deadlifts rotated as Week 1 - Mon: BS, Wed: DL, Fri: OHS/lunge Week 2 - Mon: RDL, Wed: BS, Fri DL and so on. Which would you pick, OHS or lunge, and why?

I was trying to figure this out and cant come up with a good answer. I love the OHS because the flexibility is great; but unilateral strength is important and lunges are awesome for that.

Which is your weak point?
I pick lunges becuase I hate lunges, I hate them with a passion ergo, lunges are a weak point of mine.

I'd pick bench because I'm weak at bench and straight barbell bench flat out builds monster pressing strength. Dumbell incline bench is used by a lot of people to build overhead pressing, floor presses are great as well but the basic barbell bench, close or wide grip with a dicernable pause is a totally legit excercise like weighted dips or the press.

Brandon Enos 07-30-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 35736)
No sprinting?

Well, I could understand OHS and lunge if you're doing Oly... but most other sports do require some form of running. Fast running.

Otherwise, I'd go with lunge and use OHS in warmup. Not incredibly taxing enough that you can go semi-heavy and still have a good workout if you wanted.

I plan on running on Tue, Thur, Sat; rotating sprinting days with distance days. Hence why Im doing so few lifts aimed at the legs.