Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paleo Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gassing Quick On New Diet!! (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2820)

Jon Alexander 08-02-2008 04:03 PM

Gassing Quick On New Diet!!

I POSTED THIS ON THE TAIL END OF MY NUTRITION LOG, BUT THOUGHT I MIGHT GET A QUICKER RESPONSE POSTING HERE AS WELL.
MY QUESTION IS THAT SINCE I SWITHCED FROM THE NORMAL ZONE DIET AT 2-3 TIMES FAT AT 17 BLOCKS, TO THE SAME 17 BLOCKS OF PROTEIN BUT ONLY HALF THE CARBS( ABOUT 8-9 BLOCKS) AND REPLACEING EACH CARB BLOCK WITH 3 FAT BLOCKS. I SWITHCED TO THIS ONLY 4 OR 5 DAYS AGO. SINCE SWITHCHING I HAVE NOTICED THAT MY MET-CON WOD'S ARE SUFFERING BIG TIME!! I AM GOOD FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 3-5 MIN. BUT AFTER THAT I HIT A WALL AND SLOW DOWN TREMENDOUSLY.!!
I WAS WONDERING DO YOU THINK THAT THIS IS JUST MY BODY ADAPTING TO THE CHANGES AND I WILL GET BACK TO NORMAL AFTER SOME TIME( AND IF SO HOW LONG?) OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG IN MY APPROACH?

FYI: I STAY AS PALEO AS POSSIBLE AND SINCE SWITCHING I AHVE NOT CHANGED ANY OTHER VARIABLES ie. SLEEP, WOD TIME ect.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRETIATED, THANKS

Derek Weaver 08-02-2008 04:32 PM

First, my eyes would appreciate it without everything in caps next time.

Second, maybe. Give yourself a little longer to adjust, but 8-9 carb blocks may not be enough if you feel good in every other way (rest, strength etc.).

Why did you switch in the first place? Do you not handle carbs well? Or did you just want to experiment?

Steven Low 08-02-2008 05:08 PM

Yeah, man, don't post in caps or I'll delete it next time. Hurts the eyes to read, and it's just bad forum etiquette.

In any case, any major changes in diet may take a lag time of ~2-3 weeks for the body to adjust.. maybe even a bit longer. So don't sweat it so much. See what happens after 3-4 weeks or so and if it's not better then go back to more carbs. You may be one of those people that just responds well to carbs if that's the case.

Jon Alexander 08-02-2008 06:34 PM

sorry about posting in caps!! i am at work and that is how we have to write our reports.
the reason i changed is i am trying to get my BF% down the last little bit ( currently at 9%, would like 5 or 6%)and also too experiment. got tired of eating so much also( five blocks of cauliflower is alot!!).

Derek Weaver 08-02-2008 08:40 PM

Jon,
Like Steven said, it's going to take a little while. Some have noted that it's taken them a full 30 days or so to really adjust to dietary changes.

Going low carb can help you lean out, but in the end, calories will still matter.
Have you tried shifting more of your carb blocks PWO a la Robb's article?

Garrett Smith 08-03-2008 12:06 PM

Give it more time, and possibly more fat.

Jon Alexander 08-03-2008 01:53 PM

Derek- I will try to eat more carbs pwo. but is it ok if that makes one of my meals no carb?

Garrett- how much fat do you think i should eat? it already feels lioke i am eating alot of fat.

Thanks for the advice!!

Derek Weaver 08-03-2008 02:41 PM

Jon,
Yes. That's fine.

Liam Dougherty Springer 08-03-2008 05:28 PM

When I started uping my fat at first it felt like alot now it feels totaly normal I think my digestive system just needed to adjust. If you feel like you are not digesting as well just slowly add a little each weak or grab some lipase or better yet a full digestive enzyme blend for every major meal. Oh yeah and I eat no fat other than fish oil and high carbs (5-9 blocks depending on glycogen needs) PWO and eat a dinner of high fat and little to no carbs. It works well for me and helps reduce insulin levels for the night time HGH release. Improved recovery = improved energy levels.

I am 165# about 9%BF and consume about 110-140g fat/day. Probrably 10- 15 blocks of carbs or do a perfect zone if it seems I need more recovery. That being said after adjustment to a lower carb higher fat diet I might reduce my fat perhaps even by half some days if I am trying to burn some stored fat.

Garrett Smith 08-03-2008 07:58 PM

First give it at least two weeks of adaptation time.

Then try 4x fat for a week or two.

I ended up around 17-18 blocks at 5x fat (I never reduced carbs). It worked for me zone-wise, but I don't do it anymore.