Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How much to expect (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3142)

Liam Dougherty Springer 10-06-2008 07:01 PM

How much to expect

How much muscle gain per week is normal for a program like SS when eating to gain?

I have seen some posts on this subject in the past I think by Steven Low but I can't find them. I have just started my program and have had a first week gain of about 4 pounds.

Some is deffinatly fat and some is deffinatly muscle and I figure some might just be food in my guts. I had already gained back my water weight durring the rest week before starting my program. I am deffinatly eating enough to gain 3000-3800kcal and the macro ratios have been good. I think I could clean up some carb sources next week but I am debating just eating a little less in general.

I do not mind gaining fat in order to maximize strength and muscle gain but I also don't want to waste my time and money on food that is un necessary.

Thanx in advance.

-Liam

Steven Low 10-06-2008 08:07 PM

Play it by feel. There's really nothing set here. If you cut back 300-500 cals your body might be able to put on the same amount of strength and mass.. but maybe it won't. Genetics and recovery definitely interact with your nutrition so it's hard to make any true estimates.

If you wanna cut back slightly then go for it, but if you're not putting on as much mass and your lifts are feeling heavy quickly you need to go back up.

Patrick Donnelly 10-06-2008 09:29 PM

Just eat. If you gain too much fat for your liking, take care of it later. When trying to gain weight, it's better to err on the side of too much.

Liam Dougherty Springer 10-07-2008 07:07 AM

Alright I am gonna keep the feast going as is:) .

I shoulda known no one here would likely say "Eeeek your gonna get all fat if you eat that much." (lol)

I did find a little thing (not really an article) on maximum muscle gain in a week and it is from nutritionalsupplements.com so I don't know if it is good info. Does anyone know where the science behind this
Quote:

The scientifically calculated average of 1 pound of muscle gain per week MAXIMUM for anyone
here is the link to what I foundhttp://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/trainingT18.html

Steven Low 10-07-2008 07:14 AM

Yeah, where's their proof? I don't see any studies or citations.

Kris Reeves 10-07-2008 07:29 AM

Be careful on going too much overboard on the fat gain part (depending on your age)!!!

Not saying that you're doing the GOMAD but, as an over 30 male...I did the Gallon of Milk thing...building up from a half gallon to the whole gallon over a 14-16 week period. Net result...I got strong as shit, but became a fat bastard who had to buy new suits/slacks for work!

If you are young or can live your life in sweatpants...eat to your heart's content...but that was an expensive mistake for me. Admittedly, I did add some decent lean gains too, but I wouldn't do that again unless the timing was perfect.

Dan Heaney 10-07-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer (Post 40364)

I shoulda known no one here would likely say "Eeeek your gonna get all fat if you eat that much." (lol)

I did find a little thing (not really an article) on maximum muscle gain in a week and it is from nutritionalsupplements.com so I don't know if it is good info. Does anyone know where the science behind this
here is the link to what I foundhttp://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/trainingT18.html

I have seen the 1-1.5lb/week a few times but as a guide to try and keep fat gain at a minimum but like Steven said I don't recall research backing it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Reeves (Post 40370)
Be careful on going too much overboard on the fat gain part (depending on your age)!!!

Not saying that you're doing the GOMAD but, as an over 30 male...I did the Gallon of Milk thing...building up from a half gallon to the whole gallon over a 14-16 week period. Net result...I got strong as shit, but became a fat bastard who had to buy new suits/slacks for work!

If you are young or can live your life in sweatpants...eat to your heart's content...but that was an expensive mistake for me. Admittedly, I did add some decent lean gains too, but I wouldn't do that again unless the timing was perfect.

What did you expect? Haha that what I would have expected. I bet you could have gotten strong as shit with smaller surplus of calories

Mike ODonnell 10-07-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer (Post 40364)

Real muscle is hard to gain...be lucky at a true gain of 1-2lb a month consistently. Now glycogen loading and hypertrophy is a bit easier and can add up the total lbs much quicker. Of course with any glycogen loading program comes the chances for fat gain as unless you exactly know your spillover point from which glycogen goes from the muscle into fat cells, you will gain fat. Chances are your body is only hard wired for so much muscle too....so any new lifting plan will increase it, once you plateau you have to change things up with glycogen loading cycles and varied training protocols. All depends on your goals.

Kris Reeves 10-07-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Heaney (Post 40371)
What did you expect? Haha that what I would have expected. I bet you could have gotten strong as shit with smaller surplus of calories

Well, truth be told...I sort of expected it, but it was so hard to control since I was feeling so great in the gym! I just didn't want to stop! :)

I've dieted down to single digit bodyfat before and I figured I'd just gain and then diet down....however I forgot how freaking hard and how much dedication it is to actually do that!

Dan Heaney 10-07-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Reeves (Post 40405)
Well, truth be told...I sort of expected it, but it was so hard to control since I was feeling so great in the gym! I just didn't want to stop! :)

Which is where I am right now but instead of milk I'm eating ice cream

Quote:

I've dieted down to single digit bodyfat before and (a) I figured I'd just gain and then diet down....however (b) I forgot how freaking hard and how much dedication it is to actually do that!
(a) I think the same thing and I bet I be thinking (b) too!:D