Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Animals You Ate Today (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3291)

Emily Mattes 11-06-2008 07:47 AM

Animals You Ate Today

Ever since I broke a decade of vegetarianism with a trip to an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steak buffet a year or two ago, I have been trying to catch up on eating all the animals that had previously escaped their fates. It has been a delicious quest.

Let us all join in the adventure, together. Here is a log where we can record the meat we ate. What kind of meat? How was it prepared? Did you enjoy it? Etcetera, etcetera.

----------------

The day before yesterday, my roommate discovered that massaging barbecue sauce into hamburger meat before cooking it results in a barbecue burger superior to the normal kind where one just tops it with BBQ sauce. It also masked, maybe even complemented the burned coating that surrounded them (we are not good at cooking burgers on the stovetop).

Yesterday, for lunch I had a burger from Pete's Grill, a little diner close to me that serves the finest burgers in Baltimore City. It was freakin' amazing. For dinner, we ate leftover salmon topped with pesto. It was OK, I think I put too much salt in the salmon marinade and the pesto suffered from being frozen.

Jay Cohen 11-06-2008 09:23 AM

Pork-the other White Meat

Cured Ham and Veggies for lunch.

Pork steak baked for dinner.

With over 240lbs of Pork in the freezer, Pork is on the menu for awhile, though I still have most of a Lamb.

Chow On

Garrett Smith 11-06-2008 11:38 AM

I've been having this dish a lot lately, had it on election night in fact:

1 onion + 1 lb. ground beef in pan

Cook a bit, until ground beef is close to done

Add 1 lb. of broccoli, cover and cook for a couple minutes until everything is done

In separate bowl, mix several large spoonfuls of miso, crushed garlic, and a little lime juice and tamari (both to taste and to thin the "sauce", if you want less sodium sub water for tamari, note that the sauce will naturally thin out due to the heat), add crushed ginger if you so desire

Turn off heat to pan, mix in sauce, dish it up, and top with fresh ground pepper.

This miso-lime-garlic-ginger sauce (sometimes I add almond butter for a bit more protein/fat or simply to extend a deficient supply of miso) has become a staple around my house now.

Jay Cohen 11-06-2008 12:05 PM

Dr. G;

Sauce looks interesting-thanks.

Regards to wife and child

Garrett Smith 11-06-2008 12:38 PM

Hope you like it, Jay! Wife and child are doing quite well, thanks!

sarena kopciel 11-06-2008 01:38 PM

Funny Dr G, I picked up my first order of Kosher grassfed beef today a few hours after landing in the US from 9 days in Israel. And what did I make?

Sauteed tons of onions in red palm oil, added chopped garlic, ground beef, chopped broccoli, carrot and celery along with some smoked salt and fresh pepper. maybe I will add in some thinned miso too!!

About the animal supply, I also ate 2 eggs and some canned wild salmon today. Made a large pot of chicken soup too. So dinner may be the beef and broccoli with some chicken bones from the soup--not sure yet!

In Whole Foods today, I saw ostrich, quail and goose eggs. Anyone use em?

Arden Cogar Jr. 11-06-2008 01:40 PM

Had Salmon for dinner last night and some turkey for lunch today. Actually had a slice of turkey bacon that my daughter wouldn't finish along with my shake and oats for breaky.

I see something else dead coming up in my not so distant future.

All the best,
Arden

Craig Brown 11-06-2008 03:06 PM

Ostrich is tasty.

Today has been some trout, some chicken, some pork. I've been buying grassfed beef lately but the free range pork is where it's at for me. This weekend is figuring out what to do with Pork Jowl Bacon (Guanciale)....

Arien Malec 11-06-2008 05:05 PM

Pig. Chicken. Catfish. More Pig. Mixed stuff that was probably pig.

Yuen Sohn 11-06-2008 06:34 PM

For lunch:

-Cooked in some sort Thai-style coconut curry. Considering the history of health code violations at the company cafeteria, I probably ate a few insect parts as well.