Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Starting From Scratch (Almost) (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3428)

Júlíus G. Magnússon 11-30-2008 03:30 PM

Starting From Scratch (Almost)

I herniated a disc some while ago. I've been feeling very good the last several weeks and my PT has given me the green light on getting a bit more aggressive with my training.

Right now, I'm doing an SS-ish cycle with very conservative weights, being careful not to irritate anything but still gradually strengthening my back enough to prevent something like this from happening again.

The past couple of months I've been Texas-method-ing my bench press, since that's pretty much the only thing I've been able to go heavy on, and I intend to keep that going for a couple of more weeks, as well as some swimming recommended by my PT.

I'm going to keep this log a weekly thing and since you guys seem to be a knowledgeable bunch, feel free to comment on anything I'm doing or throw in suggestions.

21 years old, male
173cm, ~80kg
Body fat: Probably over 15% since I've packed on a few pounds since my injury - good active weight at about 75kg

Not sure enough about my back to be able to make any short term goals at the moment but I do have some longterm ones:
Snatch - Bodyweight
Clean and Jerk - 100kg
Fran - Sub 3:00
Deadhang Muscle-up
Freestanding Handstand Push-up

Plan is to get back some lost strength via SS-based linear progression, with moderately light oly technique work once I feel the back is up to it. Followed by a metcon biased month with weekly heavy oly work, then followed by the CA WOD for some time. That's the plan right now, anyway.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 11-30-2008 04:04 PM

November 24-30

Monday
---
Bench Press (Volume): 5x5x85kg
Overhead Squat: 5x40kg
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x12x30kg
Assisted Deadhang Muscle-up: 1-2-3-2-1
Deadlift: 2x15x40kg
Pull-up (Kipping): 22xBodyweight
---
Bench felt good. Pull-ups not so much had to stop because my iPod jumped out of my pocked and was hanging by my earphone cable. Could have squeezed a few more, but definitely not my old PR of 33.

Tuesday
---
Swim (50m Outdoor Pool): 500m, alternating front crawl and breaststroke every 50m; 14:26
---
I didn't drown. So all in all, a good day.

Wednesday
---
Bench Press (Recovery, paused): 2x5x65kg
Overhead Squat: 3x40kg, 3x45kg, 3x50kg, 3x55kg, 3x60kg
Death by Pull-ups: 11 rounds + 6
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x12x35kg
Shoulder Press: 3x5x47,5kg
---
Overhead Squat felt awesome. Haven't gone heavy on that since my injury. Could have gone higher, but didn't want to risk it. Death by Pull-ups was not so good. Haven't been doing kipping pull-ups until this week and in the tenth round I think I pulled something in my left bicep... Just a minor inconvenience but I decided to call it quits in the 12 round to be safe. Bicep was bothering me during presses as well. Went home, iced it and it hasn't bothered me since.

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Bench Press (Intensity): 2x80kg, 2x87,5kg, 2x95kg (PR for 2 reps)
Overhead Squat: 5x40kg
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x12x40kg
Deadhang Weighted Towel Pull-up: 3x5x10kg
Deadlift: 2x15x45kg
Ab work: Misc, seeing if my back became uncomfortable
Support Beam Climb: Across and back
---
The climbing seemed to bother my back a bit...

Saturday
---
Swim (50m Outdoor Pool): 2x150m Front Crawl; 4:05, 4:27
---
Back back to good after some icing. This is a PR for my front crawl without stopping, which was really all I was shooting for, not having to stop.

Sunday
---
Indoor Climbing: ~an hour and half
---
First time trying this. Was fun. Will definitely try this again soon. Back did complain a bit after falling a few times. Got used to it and felt great.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 12-07-2008 05:42 PM

December 1-7

Monday
---
Bench Press (Volume): 5x5x87.5kg
Overhead Squat: 3x40kg
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x75kg
Assisted Deadhang Muscle-up: 1
Deadlift: 5x100kg
Knees-to-elbows: 3x10
---
Bench took everything I had and then some. My arms were fried afterwards. Failed on the fourth rep of 40kg overhead squats. Something I should be able to do for 20+ reps fresh. Also, was going to go for 1-2-3-2-1 assisted deadhang muscle-ups, but it just wasn't happening. My friend was doing more work than I was. Combination of wasted forearms from climbing the day before and the bench press.
Decided to say fuck it and upped the weight on back squat and deadlift. Back felt great.

Tuesday
---
Rest
---
Back felt better than it has in months.

Wednesday
---
Bench Press (Recovery, paused): 2x5x67.5kg
Power Clean: 3x5x50kg
Power Clean and Push Jerk: Singles up to 80kg
Low-bar Back Squat: 5x80kg, 5x100kg, 5x80kg
Deadhang Towel Pull-up: 1x10, 2x8
Weighted Ring Dip: 3x8x5kg (focus on going deep)
---
Went for 100kg on the back squat for a set of 5. Felt like I could do more, which is good. But I don't want to push things with my back so I'm going to be patient and stick with +5kg per workout.
Power clean and push jerk matches my old clean and jerk PR from when I was 69kg. Push jerks didn't feel too good. Going to work on them some with lighter weight before going I start focusing on weightlifting.

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x85kg
Bench Press (Intensity): 1x90kg, 1x102.5kg (PR)
Weighted Deadhang Pull-up: 3x5kg, 3x10kg, 3x15kg, 2x20kg (disappointing, was going for 3x25kg, I blame my weight gain the past couple of months)
Deadlift: 5x105kg
Shoulder Press: 3x5x50kg
L-sit (rings, rings turned out): 3x[Max time] (Didn't have anyone to time me)
---
Bench press felt super light. Could have gone for a double, possibly a triple with that weight. Planning on a heavier 1RM next week.

Saturday
---
Power Clean and Push Jerk: Singles up to 80kg
Front Squat: 3x60kg, 3x80kg, 3x90kg
---
Push jerks felt a lot more solid. Started jumping back on the cleans for some reason once I got to 75kg. Need to look into that.
Front Squat felt heavier than it should have but still pretty manageable.

Sunday
---
Combatives: ~an hour and half
---
SPEARS drills. Some High Gear drills. Conditioning felt terrible. Haven't done anything like this for a while due to my injury and no conditioning work so less than half an hour in I was lying on the floor gasping for air like I just did Linda followed by Fran.
May have broken my toe, during some of this. It's been feeling awful all day if I move it or put any weight on it. Blargh.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 12-14-2008 06:10 PM

December 8-14
---
Diet's been crap. A liter of coke a day has become the norm. Finals are fucking up my sleep. Three hours here, four hours there... Basically, everything's crap.

Monday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x90kg
Bench Press (Volume): 5x5x90kg
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 4x15x(2x12.5)kg
Power Clean: 3x5x55kg
---
Kinda surprised at the bench. Made sure I rested plenty between sets and nailed every rep. Butt came a little bit off the bench on the last rep of the fourth set, but I'm counting it.

Tuesday
---
Rest

Wednesday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x95kg
Bench Press (Recovery, paused): 2x5x70kg
Deadlift: 5x110kg
Fran (30kg thrusters): 6:44
---
Afraid the deadlifts are going to ramp up too soon for my back. Making them a weekly thing, probably on Mondays.
Decided to go for the female Fran due to my atrocious conditioning during combatives on Sunday and not wanting to go too heavy on a metcon because of my back. That's a horrible time. Thrusters were a breeze, but the weight I'm gaining is fucking up my pull-ups. Operating on three hours of sleep followed by a three hour calculus final, meant I couldn't quite push through at anything close to a respectable pace.

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x100kg
Bench Press (Intensity): 1x105kg (PR)
Shoulder Press: 5x52.5kg 4x52.5kg 5x50kg
Romanian Deadlift: 3x8x50kg
Weighted Deadhang Chin-up: 1x20kg 0x30kg
---
Mentally, I just wasn't there. Everything felt awful.
Presses felt weak, I definitely could have finished up at 52.5kg if my mind had been there, but it wasn't. I blame diet. And sleep. Repeating 52.5kg next week.
Subbing 3x8 Romanian Deadlifts for Power Cleans as per the advice of Coach Rip.
The chin-ups? Fuck. I was doing 5s with over 20kg not long ago. Was expecting 1x35kg. Not happening. Fuck.

Saturday
---
Rest

Sunday
---
Combatives: ~a little over an hour and half
---
SPEARS drills, mostly. Some kick drills for warming up. Wasn't as intense conditioning wise as last time, but conditioning was definitely lacking.
Did some Range Rover drills, and 2on1s with the high gear and a padded stick.
Felt pretty good, getting more aggressive with my CWCT.

---
Body Weight: 82.5kg
Body Fat (according to this): 22%
---
What the flying fuck? I know I packed on some weight since my injury... But fuck. 22%? I was 8% back in June. I blame that stupid calculator. I can't believe I'm over 20%. Going to focus on regaining lost strength before taking any of that weight off, though.

Allen Yeh 12-15-2008 03:18 AM

I don't know how accurate that calculator is. I think if you were 22% it'd be pretty obvious, that is pretty high. For me to be 22% I'd have to gain almost 12 kilos. Or lose a bunch of muscle and gain quite a bit of fat weight. You said you've only gone up ~5 kilo's since your injury and I doubt you lost that much lean muscle mass and gained that much more fat in the few months cine your injury.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 12-19-2008 12:00 PM

Yeah. I guess it's okay for comparison's sake, though, even though the percentages don't seem to make much sense.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 12-21-2008 02:16 PM

December 15-21
---
Last week of finals. Diet was crap, lots of Red Bull and Coke, but still getting in an acceptable amount of calories; drank three liters of whole milk per day, plus two meals and the sugary, caffeinated crap.

Monday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x105kg
Bench Press (Volume): 5x92.5kg, 2x3x92.5kg, 5x85kg, 5x80kg
Deadlift: 5x115kg
---
Squat felt easier than I expected. Managed the first set of bench presses. Next two failed after the third rep, so I dropped the weight. Resetting back to 85kg next week.
Had to keep this workout short, so no extra work; chemistry final the next day.

Tuesday
---
Rest

Wednesday
---
Front Squat: 3x5x75kg
Shoulder Press: 1x60kg, 0x65kg
Bench Press (Recovery, paused): 2x5x65kg
Romanian Deadlift: 5x55kg
Tabata (no extra rest between exercises):
- 20kg Thrusters: 10, 8, 8, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5
- Kipping Pull-ups: 7, 5, 5, 6, 4, 4, 5, 5
- Total: 57 + 41 = 98
---
Started the front squats too low, felt too easy. Might add 7.5kg next time.
Press is a fucking bitch. Did 62.5kg back when I was 75kg.
My toe is still fucked up from combatives a couple of weeks back, which really seemed to screw me on those thrusters. I just can't seem to find myself in those metcons... Just couldn't push through like I used to. I think the irregular sleep is getting to me, I'll see how it goes in the next couple of weeks. Pull-ups are feeling terrible. I'm not doing enough of them, and gaining weight pretty fast... Blargh, I'm going to try and fit some in.
Back felt weird after this workout... Not bad... Not good... Just weird. Probably the Romanian deadlifts.

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x110kg
Bench Press (Intensity): 3x95kg (PR for 3s)
Kettlebell Work (24kg Kettlebell): Turkish Get-ups 1/1, Clean and Push Press 2/2x(1+3)
Shoulder Press: 3x5x52.5kg
Back Extension: 3x10
---
Finals officially over.
Presses and get-ups with a 24kg kettlebell are not as easy as they look. Left hand felt very weak. Gonna add some one handed cleans and presses soon, probably in a metcon format.
Back extensions sucked. Did three sets of 10 with very little rest in between. Slow controlled reps and wow... I could feel my spinal erectors burning like never before. I like it.

Saturday
---
Rest

Sunday
---
Rest
---
The plan was combatives today. Didn't happen.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 12-28-2008 09:07 PM

December 22-28
---
Spent the week visiting family. Felt like a good time for a workout break, so I decided not to even try working out. Diet was pretty much as crappy as it gets. Lots of soda, sandwiches, candy, cookies, et cetera. Which was awesome.

Monday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x115kg (PR for 5s (and 3s, actually))
Bench Press (Volume): 5x82.5kg, 5x85kg, 5x87.5kg, 2x5x85kg
Deadlift (Hook grip): 5x122.5kg
---
Squat felt is getting really heavy. 2.5kg jumps from now on. Broke my old PR for 5s (and 3s) of 110kg from when I was 69kg.
I reset the bench press. Was going to do 85kg, but when I was about to start my second set I realized I forgot to put 2.5kg on one side of the bar. I then did one set with 87.5kg to make up for the first set.
Deadlift was easy. Only thing lacking was grip so I switched from the normal grip to the hook grip.
Was going to do chin-ups as well but I ran out of time.
I had a 2.75 hour boat trip to visit the family soon after my workout. I made sure to eat plenty and was going to sleep on the way. But that didn't happen. The trip took 5 hours due to weather and I spent four of those puking. Afterwards my throat hurt like hell for two days so I wasn't able to eat much. Worried if that's going to affect my squats next time.

Tuesday
---
Rest

Wednesday
---
Rest

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Rest

Saturday
---
Rest

Sunday
---
Rest
---
Back felt great this week, but my toe is still being a bitch. Pretty sure by now that I broke it. Hopefully it'll heal over the next couple of weeks.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 01-05-2009 10:10 PM

December 29 - January 4
---
Slowly getting diet back on track. Doing the milk again, 3 liters per day. (Un)fortunately my sister gave me a case of Red Bull. Love that shit, but damn, I'm getting addicted to it.

Monday
---
Front Squat: 3x5x82.5kg
Bench Press (Volume): 5x5x87.5kg
Deadlift (Hook grip): 5x130kg
---
Felt horrible; dizziness, headache and cold sweat. Everything felt like crap except the deadlifts, which were pretty smooth. Head felt like it was going to explode during bench press.

Tuesday
---
Rest
---
Back feeling kind of weird. Not really bad. Just weird.

Wednesday
---
Rest
---
Didn't get much sleep and with new year's eve, I knew I wouldn't be able to recover properly, so I took the day off.

Thursday
---
Rest
---
Gym closed.

Friday
---
Low-bar Back Squat: 3x5x112.5kg
Shoulder Press: 3x5x55kg (PR for 5s)
Bench Press (Intensity): 10x3x60kg (on-the-minute speed sets)
Kettlebell Clean and Push Press: 3/3x(1+5)x24kg (failed on the last rep with my left hand)
---
New year's resolutions much? The gym was PACKED. Never seen so many people in there before. Wanted to get some more shoulder volume in, so I added some kettlebell work.

Saturday
---
Rest
---
Back feeling great.

Sunday
---
Rest
---
Back feeling even greater.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 01-11-2009 05:25 PM

January 5 - 11
---
Started gradually lowering calory intake towards the end of the week. Lots of Red Bull, though. This week marks the end of this strength cycle. If I were to keep going, pretty much every lift would be close to a max effort and I don't want to do that to my back, yet. Trying to be smart about it. Next week I'll ease up into a metobolic conditioning cycle with a few light workouts while still lowering calorie intake.

Monday
---
Low-Bar Bacl Squat: 3x5x117.5kg (PR for 5s (3s as well))
Bench Press (Volume): 5x5x90kg
Deadlift (Hook grip): 5x135kg
---
Squats were solid.

Tuesday
---
Rest

Wednesday
---
Front Squat: 3x5x90kg (Tied PR for 5s)
Push Jerk: 1x50kg, 1x60kg, 1x70kg, 1x75kg, 1x80kg
Deadhang Pull-up: 8, 8, 6
Bench Press (Recovery, paused): 2x5x70kg
Romanian Deadlift: 3x8x60kg
---
Push jerk didn't feel aggressive enough. Shoulder flexibility is preventing me from having a solid catch position, so I can't drive very far down. Could have gone heavier, but didn't want to push it until I have the flexibility issues covered.
Pull-ups were sucky. A couple of months ago I could do 15 deadhangs.
Romanian deadlifts fucked up my back. But in a good way, totally muscular.

Thursday
---
Rest

Friday
---
Low-bar Back Squat (Recovery): 2x5x90kg
Bench Press (Intensity): 10x3x60kg (on-the-minute speed sets)
Push Press: 1x60kg, 1x70kg, 0x80kg, 0x75kg, 1x72.5 (PR)
Knees-to-elbows: 3x10
---
Push press was gay. Got a bit greedy. Did 3x70kg last spring at a body weight of 75kg, so I thought I'd be able to get it up. Especially since my push jerk at 80kg felt easy. Bad day I guess.
Doing slow, controlled back extensions keeps making my spinal erectors feel like they're on fire. In a good way... I hope.

---
Body Weight: 84.25kg
Body Fat (according to this): 23%
---
I have a message for Dr. Sears on the off-chance he ends up reading this: FUCK YOU.
That body fat calculator is crappy waste of time (anyone who may be reading this know of a better one that only requires a measuring tape and a scale?). I know I've been going heavy on the milk, Red Bull and shit, but according to this I have LESS lean body mass than when I was 70.0kg. LESS. That measurement was with the SAME calculator, so no different measurements excuse.
Fuck you, Dr. Sears. Fuck you in the ass.
That is all.

Saturday
---
Rest
---
Back feeling pretty good - abs sore as fuck.

Sunday
---
Low-bar Back Squat (1RM): 1x130kg, 0x145kg, 1x140kg (PR)
Bench Press (1RM): 1x100kg
Shoulder Press (1RM): 1x55kg, 1x60kg
Deadlift (1RM): 1x140kg, 1x160kg (PR), 1x170kg (PR)
---
Abs still sore for knees-to-elbows, unfortunately.
Okay... Back squat felt very disappointing. I was expecting AT LEAST 145kg. I went to fast down, got stuck in the hole and couldn't get up again. Then, I kind of struggled with 140kg. Decided to call it quits and not try 145kg again in order to spare my back.
My buddy got the squats on video on my cell phone, was going to post them and get some comments on form, but the quality is kind of crappy, so I don't think I will.
Struggled with 100kg on the bench. 105kg PR one month ago. Chalk it up to a bad day, I guess.
Shoulder press, again struggling with something that should feel light, having done 3x5x55kg a little over a week ago. Bad day?
Deadlifts felt AWESOME, however. I was nervous about getting 160kg up, but it just kind of flew up, seemingly by itself. Real smooth. Then I said hey, fuck it, and put another 5kg on each side. Went up. Wasn't too pretty. If I would have been smart I would have dropped it to protect my back, but I didn't. I pulled it up, and lowered it again. This is a 30kg PR. That's 66lbs for you non-SI literate folks. Surprised me, especially considering the awful performance on the other lifts.