Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Snatch Question (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3473)

Dave Sheehan 12-09-2008 08:13 AM

Snatch Question

First I got to say this is a pretty awesome forum, glad I found it, lots of valuable info!

I do have a quick snatch question.

When you snatch and you end up dumping the bar behind you because it seems like the momentum of the bar carries you that way, does that mean you're swinging it too much (but still strong enough to get it over head) or does it mean you had a strong lift and need more weight?

George Mounce 12-09-2008 08:18 AM

Greg is best to answer this, but for me if its a dump behind it means I didn't fully extend my shoulders into the proper position and balance wasn't maintained, or I pulled with my arms instead of getting under the bar.

Dan Heaney 12-09-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Sheehan (Post 45021)
First I got to say this is a pretty awesome forum, glad I found it, lots of valuable info!

I do have a quick snatch question.

When you snatch and you end up dumping the bar behind you because it seems like the momentum of the bar carries you that way, does that mean you're swinging it too much (but still strong enough to get it over head) or does it mean you had a strong lift and need more weight?

I believe it could be one of thress things 1)an overrotation during the third pull 2) diving under the bar with your head and chest down 3) pushing you head and chest too far forward. (just read this part of the book and this is what I recall) I also think it says muscle and 2 position snatches can helpful with this and OHS and snatch balances as well. I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in and help you out though.

Greg Everett 12-09-2008 10:40 AM

Dan got it.

It can mean that you did put too much gas on it and have more in you - but not necessarily. That's something you'd need to figure out based on how it felt and looked.

Dave Sheehan 12-11-2008 02:08 PM

I've been looking into foundation strength. Out of curiousity, if I can back squat 325+ lbs for a max, and about 250-275 lbs front squat for a max rep. What should I be looking to make in the olifts?

Greg Everett 12-11-2008 02:17 PM

Dave -

Based on those numbers I'd expect you to be able to snatch about 200 lbs and CJ about 230-245 lbs. That said, there are huge variations among athletes in regard to how their classic lifts compare to their strength lifts. Those numbers would be considered quite good - they would mean you're able to apply a great deal of your strength to the lifts rather than having a large surplus.

But really, don't worry about that - keep getting all of your lifts up.

Dave Sheehan 12-11-2008 04:49 PM

If I could snatch 200lbs and CJ 230-245 I would be very happy. I went for a 230 clean yesterday and missed it. I probably should not have performed as many cleans as I did before I went for 230 because I was somewhat tired at that point. I caught the bar in a good spot, but was unable to just stand, which is why I think I may have been fatigued because I can front squat 230 no problem. Whether or not I could jerk it would be a different story.

I did 70 kilos for the snatch last week. I definitely think if I had better form I could get up to 80-90 kilos. I'm doing the olifts to get ready for another sport, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I just ordered the Complete Guide book so hopefully that will provide me some tips I need. The important thing is for me to get bigger, stronger, and faster.