Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Snatch & OHS elbow strain (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3521)

Matt DeMinico 12-17-2008 08:04 AM

Snatch & OHS elbow strain

Whenever I land a "heavy" (heavy for me anyhow) snatch, right when I go to dump it, and shortly after I've dumped it, my left elbow hurts like crazy. It almost feels like it's hyperextended, or something with the joint. It's only on the left, and I'm not quite sure why it happens. The same thing happens when doing heavier OHS, except it happens while I'm doing the movement. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Allen Yeh 12-17-2008 09:12 AM

Where in your elbow is the pain and what type of pain is it? A dull pain? A shoothing pain? A throbbing? Any other movements hurt it other than snatch and OHS?

I ask because I've been having left elbow/forearm issues since March. I put forearm because it's not exactly what I consider the elbow area. I had rehabbed it pretty well until September when I rehurt myself doing death by pullups. The movements that hurt are heavy OHS, moderate snatches, push presses, jerks, kipping pullups. I can sometimes feel it there when I do rows and such as well.

Steven Low 12-17-2008 09:17 AM

Early elbow bend = significant stress on the joint = pain

Garrett Smith 12-17-2008 10:10 AM

Do your elbows hyperextend? Have you ever injured that elbow?

If so, you may need to work on figuring out the "straight" position for your elbows and work on your overhead position with that new elbow angle (or should I say, lack of angle).

Matt DeMinico 12-17-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 45761)
Where in your elbow is the pain and what type of pain is it? A dull pain? A shoothing pain? A throbbing? Any other movements hurt it other than snatch and OHS?

I ask because I've been having left elbow/forearm issues since March. I put forearm because it's not exactly what I consider the elbow area. I had rehabbed it pretty well until September when I rehurt myself doing death by pullups. The movements that hurt are heavy OHS, moderate snatches, push presses, jerks, kipping pullups. I can sometimes feel it there when I do rows and such as well.

It's on the inside, it's kinda an "intense dull" pain when it's happening, and sticks around for a short time after. It's only at the lockout position, never when doing anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 45763)
Early elbow bend = significant stress on the joint = pain

I'd put $1000 down on a bet that it's *not* early elbow bend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 45766)
Do your elbows hyperextend? Have you ever injured that elbow?

If so, you may need to work on figuring out the "straight" position for your elbows and work on your overhead position with that new elbow angle (or should I say, lack of angle).

I don't think my elbows hyperextend, but that could be the problem, just a slight bit if anything, though I have no way of telling. I'm wondering if maybe I'm twisting one elbow in or out too much, or too little, not sure.

Garrett Smith 12-17-2008 12:10 PM

If you could get some video of some snatches and OHS, I'm sure Greg E. could sort you out in no time.

Until then, rest, ART, foam rolling, and cold laser therapy would be things to try.

Elbows respond well to rest.

Matt DeMinico 12-17-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 45778)
If you could get some video of some snatches and OHS, I'm sure Greg E. could sort you out in no time.

Until then, rest, ART, foam rolling, and cold laser therapy would be things to try.

Elbows respond well to rest.

It seems to be a persistent thing. I haven't aggravated it in a long time, and it always comes right back the first time, it's got to be a technique thing.

Garrett Smith 12-17-2008 12:54 PM

Good call then. Time for technique review!