Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   HELP!!! Swimming and Osteoporosis (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354)

Jamila Bey 01-07-2007 11:15 PM

HELP!!! Swimming and Osteoporosis

Okay smart folks,

I was reading a really interesting study about how swimming increases bone density and muscle mass in sufferers of osteoporosis, but I didn't bookmark the link, and now I can't find it.

I think the study was written in late 04, but that's all I can remember.

Can anyone help?

Jamila

Mike ODonnell 01-08-2007 06:16 AM

I'd be curious to know also, as it was my assumption that osteoporosis needed weight bearing activity to stimulate the osteoblasts (bone building) cells. Swimming while great exercise is not really weight bearing.

Yael Grauer 01-08-2007 09:59 AM

No idea what the study is, but I'm sure plenty of us could help you figure out how to look up your old links on your computer's history/cache.

Greg Everett 01-08-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 2911)
I'd be curious to know also, as it was my assumption that osteoporosis needed weight bearing activity to stimulate the osteoblasts (bone building) cells.

weight bearing is a big part of it, but you'll also see osteoblast activity near tendon insertions that are under tension. so any kind of resisted movement is better than nothing. which is how most of these studies go... swimming is better than lying in bed. but does that mean swimming is the best, or even a good, activity for preventing/treating osteoporosis? not necessarily. the fact alone that there is no loaded eccentric portion of movement in a pool means that you're giving away half the potential resistance against the muscle and therefore bone strengthening potential.

the only time i would suggest swimming as the best option is if the person is presently super compromised and is a fall risk . in that case, i'd consider swimming as a wise first stage. once they improve some from that, then you get them back into dry land and on their feet so they can get the best adaptations.

Mike ODonnell 01-08-2007 11:18 AM

Personally I have used with clients weighted step ups, even if it is a small step. Seems to work for all levels I have trained. If balance is an issue, then weighted step ups with 1 db and the other hand on a pole or something for balance.

I agree while swimming is better than lying around, I believe weight bearing (if possible with the person's condition) is better. Of course really whatever they will do consistently is the best option.

Brad Hirakawa 01-10-2007 09:54 AM

15 years under water... nightmares about that damn interval clock.. tick.. tick.. tick... go!!! Thanks for the flashback!