Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clean deadlift back position?? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3555)

Chris H Laing 12-24-2008 09:33 AM

Clean deadlift back position??

On clean deadlifts, in order to get a more upright torso, I have to shove my knees way in front of the bar, so on the way up the bar really grinds my shins.

Is it better to keep the more upright torso with the shin-grinding or is it better to sacrifice a little back angle for a smoother pull off the ground?

Dave Van Skike 12-24-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 46299)
On clean deadlifts, in order to get a more upright torso, I have to shove my knees way in front of the bar, so on the way up the bar really grinds my shins.

Is it better to keep the more upright torso with the shin-grinding or is it better to sacrifice a little back angle for a smoother pull off the ground?

what's a clean deadlift?

for a deadlift it depends on your geometry. I'm a fan of scapula over the bar as starting position. back angle doesn't matter to me but if you are trying to overload and replicate your clean pull, then I'd think you want to pull it in a way that is consistent with that pulling position..not a deadlift.

Garrett Smith 12-24-2008 10:51 AM

Clean DL setup is exactly like your normal clean positioning. No difference.

Dave is correct, even without being familiar with a clean DL. He's teh awesome.

Brian DeGennaro 12-24-2008 11:58 AM

You're not getting your knees out of the way when you lift then. Deadlifts and cleans/snatches should never scrap your shins; scraping the thighs is okay but not the shins. As soon as you break the bar from the floor, get the weight on your heels and "pull" your knees backwards, that ought to help get them out of the way.

Chris H Laing 12-24-2008 01:23 PM

Brian, if I pull my knees back wont my back angle change, which would lead to a worse second pull?

George Mounce 12-24-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 46329)
Brian, if I pull my knees back wont my back angle change, which would lead to a worse second pull?

Your back angle isn't going to change, your hip angle will, and that is what happens anyways.

Dave Van Skike 12-24-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 46329)

everybody has different cues that work for them, relying on someone else's cue (knees back, ass back, stand up etc...) will probably screw you up more than anything. take a vid and post it or even a series of stills. , Greg has been super generous in looking at vids and giving cues.

Brian DeGennaro 12-24-2008 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No it doesn't. You need to pull them back in order to clear a path for the barbell. You can pull the knees back without changing the back angle; break the barbell from the floor and then get your weight back onto your heels. Look at the attachment: same back angle, different knee position.

Chris H Laing 12-24-2008 02:51 PM

Those pics are really helpful. I'll give it a try next time I do cl dls.

Greg Everett 12-24-2008 03:33 PM

Chris -

Make sure the bar is not starting too far back over the feet as well - base of the toes. That's what will allow you to sweep back as the bar separates without your hips shooting up instead - if you're long-legged, you will likely have a small shift in back angle during the first couple inches of bar movement, and then a steady angle after that until about mid-thigh.