Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Block Training (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3579)

Mike Prevost 12-30-2008 02:15 PM

Block Training

Not sure if block training is the right term for what I am thinking about. I am wondering about an alternative to the randomized crossfit style workouts where you do a broad based program using the same exercises over a 4-6 week period, then switch exercises. If the program is comprehensive enough and includes some power stuff (OLY lifts), some sprinting and running, some pull ups, power lifting movements (i.e., deadlifts) and some gymnastics, could you keep the same exercises for 4-6 weeks at a time and still get the same or maybe even better results compared to a more randomized program?

For example, you might focus on bench press for 4-6 weeks, then shift to ring dips for 4-6 weeks. I am wondering if you would not gain something over a crossfit approach by sticking with the same exercises for 4-6 weeks at a time and still not lose the broad based fitness if you design the program right.

Thoughts?

Mike

Donald Lee 12-30-2008 03:41 PM

Isn't that similar to what Westside does? For beginners, they keep the same exercise for about 3 weeks. For the advanced, they switch it up every week.

Garrett Smith 12-30-2008 03:46 PM

Sounds like a fine approach to me.

Steven Low 12-30-2008 04:43 PM

If you're looking for some specific strength it's a good idea. Kinda along the lines of grease the groove to an extent. Same as the demands of most strength programs.

I don't really see any "detriment" in terms of losing conditioning at all though. As long as you're using compound exercises that hit all of the body's muscles. :) I'm pretty sure if you used like triceps kickbacks and biceps curls and situps it wouldn't work too well.

Mike Prevost 01-01-2009 04:08 AM

Block Training

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 46690)
If you're looking for some specific strength it's a good idea. Kinda along the lines of grease the groove to an extent. Same as the demands of most strength programs.

I don't really see any "detriment" in terms of losing conditioning at all though. As long as you're using compound exercises that hit all of the body's muscles. :) I'm pretty sure if you used like triceps kickbacks and biceps curls and situps it wouldn't work too well.

Hi Steven

Ha, no triceps kickbacks... Mostly pullups, pushups, ring dips, a bunch of kettlebell stuff, squats, deadlifts, plus some running and cycling. Oh...and some C2 rower thrown in...that thing is a killer. I am looking for a bit of a strength bias as I am coming from a triathlon background and have been doing nothing but endurance for years.

Mike

Mike Prevost 01-01-2009 04:15 AM

trng

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 46690)

Steven

By the way...nice job with the "how to contstruct a workout routine V1.2" A long time ago I had a PhD in exercise physiology and considered myself a muscle physiologist. I say "a long time ago" because I have spent the last 13 years in the Navy, forgetting what I learned during my PhD. It is shocking what you can forget in 13 years! Some of it is still there though but alot of it is gone. Use it or loose it.... No regrets though....love the Navy...

Anton Emery 01-05-2009 02:26 PM

I think that sounds good. What i like to do is pick a lower body movement, a pushing movement, and a pulling movement, and perhaps some supplemental stuff. Try to make linear progress for a few weeks, take a back off week, then change the exercises to something else.

I train mostly for grappling though, so my week also includes some metcon as well as actual grappling practice. If you are concentrating more on strength you could program in multiple strength sessions a week.

Anton