Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   sandbag carry (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3606)

Steve Kaspar 01-04-2009 10:59 AM

sandbag carry

just read on a blog where two traing partners once a week go to their high school track and carry a 50# sandbag. they carry it on their right shoulder for a while, then carry it just holding it in both arms, then its on thre left shoulder, etc. as long as they dont stop walking and it dosent hit the ground. they started with a lap, and over a few months time they are up to almost 2 miles. then he said they fall to the track in exhaustion with their heart rate almost at max.
i never tried this, but it sounds like a good workout. is it really that tough, and does the heart rate really get up that high carring a 50# sand bag a mile or two?tthanks for any comments
steve

Joe Hart 01-04-2009 11:18 AM

Sounds almost like Coach Rut's sandbag mile. Where you walk a mile with a BW sandbag w/o setting it down. Or the infamous "dirtbag mile" (I think it was Dan Silver's idea) where you carry a buddy for a mile. I think there was time constraints, but I can't remember. Sounds like a good idea if you have the time.

George Mounce 01-04-2009 07:11 PM

Only way you will know is to try. Let us know how you feel.

Derek Weaver 01-04-2009 07:25 PM

Sand bag carries are suck fests at those distances. Incredible strength endurance factor. My obliques were torn up by doing a lot of sand bag carries over the summer at the local junior high track. Good fun.

Coach Rut's is a BW sand bag carry, one mile, I think in 15 minutes... there was a thread around here a while back about it I think.

And 2 miles, even with a "light" bag at 50 lbs. is sadistic.

Allen Yeh 01-05-2009 03:55 AM

http://coachrut.blogspot.com/2008/03...dbag-mile.html

The info for the rutman sandbag mile.

Derek Simonds 01-05-2009 04:09 AM

Earlier this year I worked up to around 100 LB's for a mile and it was absolutely retarded .

It is a really good exercise.

Patrick Yeung 01-05-2009 02:41 PM

Always wanted to try this with my punching bag. Theres a lake near my house that is 3/4 miles long that I could try and walk it around.

Im just worried ill get half way round and then feel so exhausted just leave it out there.

Tim Luby 01-06-2009 12:29 PM

Sandbag runs

I've done quite a few sandbag runs, with 50# and 100# bags.

4 miles was my longest with the 50# bag. During those 50# runs, I do intervals where every .25 or .5 mile I stop running and do 10 squats or cleans with the bag. Nasty workout! More than anything it builds mental toughness. Hill sprints with a 50#er are also great.

Typically, I carry the sandbag behind my neck. On occasion, I shift it to be on one shoulder, or even hold it like a football for a short time. It's only 50#s, but the weight takes a burden on your shoulders.

The pain and fatigue that occurs at the site where you place the bag (i.e., shoulders, etc.) is easily the biggest challenge of sandbag carrying.

Now, at 100#s things start to get really painful! After a short time, it's VERY difficult not to drop the bag. I've done runs up to 2.5 miles and boy do they hurt! I think my PB for a mile was somewhere around 17 minutes.

Which brings me to my last point. That Rutman mile sounds nearly impossible. If you can do that, you're an absolute animal. I estimate that I would drop the bag AT LEAST 10 times. That means once you factor in the penalties, I would have to finish in 12:30!

BTW: happy to be here!

Derek Weaver 01-06-2009 06:50 PM

I think I remember Rut saying on his blog that he's only known a couple of people to complete the challenge.

Sandbag carries are awesome... and stupid. I can't think of a much better way to test someone fortitude.

Patrick Yeung 01-06-2009 06:51 PM

Ive read that the best way to test someone's athletic/physical ability is to make them carry heavy things for distance.