Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2-a-day Splits (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3660)

Brandon Enos 01-13-2009 07:09 PM

2-a-day Splits

If one was to split their workouts throughout the day, say one workout of 'cardio' whether it be sprints or LSD and another of resistance, would it be better to do the 'cardio' in the morning and resistance in the evening or vice versa, or does it not matter? And why?

Thanks

Donald Lee 01-13-2009 07:37 PM

You can have an effective LSD or cardio or sprinting session, even after lifting weights, but it generally doesn't work vice versa.

Steven Low 01-13-2009 09:10 PM

Strength/power before metcon/endurance... generally speaking. If your work capacity is high it doesn't matter too much.

Why? One tears your muscles up physiologically and the other tears them up both physiologically and metabolically. I'll leave you to guess which goes with what. Resistance to physiological damage can be built up while metabolically it's hard to replenish enough glycogen to get effective workouts in the same day.

Craig Loizides 01-14-2009 04:20 PM

I like 2-a-day splits a lot for this type of training. I usually lift 3 times a week during lunch and run 3-4 times a week after work. I mix it up a bit, but i prefer the 2-a-day followed by a rest day to alternating days of lift and run or 1 long workout every other day.

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-03-2009 10:19 AM

My new program has me splitting my met-con and my event training. It's working well for me. I can't do weight work and event training on the same day. it just takes too much out of me. When I was younger I could do it. But not anymore.

Right now I'm in my "Strength and Conditioning" macro cycle - 10 weeks (I'm on week 8 of 10). 4 days of weights - 1, 2, 4, and 6. And 3 days of event training and met-con - days 3, 5 and 7. The met con is primarily extended (longer in time) sets of kettlebell work mixed with normal cardio (jump rope, jog/walk, sometimes I do handle work (sports specific stuff)).

My next macrocyle as me doing 3 days of weights and 4 days of event training and met-con. The met-con at that phase will be more GPP centered. And the weights will be lighter.

don't know if that helps at all?

All the best,
Arden

Dave Van Skike 02-12-2009 10:18 PM

try it and see. start by breaking a normal day into two sessions basically each one being a half of what you normally do..you'll see how it impacts you pretty quick, for me, about a week. then start adding..

I just met a PL guy who does 10 extra sessions a week, with 4 of those heavy gym work. the balnce of these recovery sessions (higher reps, low load, little rest) or conditioning work but he swears it's the frequency that has kept him injury free.