Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   EPOC...Oh Snap. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3745)

Dave Van Skike 01-27-2009 11:13 AM

EPOC...Oh Snap.

Doesn't exist?

Effect of HIIT on lipid oxidation during postexercise recovery
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Feb;41(2):364-74.

Effect of high-intensity interval exercise on lipid oxidation during postexercise recovery.

Malatesta D, Werlen C, Bulfaro S, Chenevière X, Borrani F.

Institute of Sport Sciences and Physical Education (ISSEP), University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland. davide.malatesta@unil.ch

PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to examine whether lipid oxidation predominates during 3 h of postexercise recovery in high-intensity interval exercise as compared with moderate-intensity continuous exercise on a cycle ergometer in fit young men (n = 12; 24.6 +/- 0.6 yr). METHODS: The energy substrate partitioning was evaluated during and after high-intensity submaximal interval exercise (INT, 1-min intervals at 80% of maximal aerobic power output [Wmax] with an intervening 1 min of active recovery at 40% Wmax) and 60-min moderate-intensity continuous exercise at 45% of maximal oxygen uptake (C45%) as well as a time-matched resting control trial (CON). Exercise bouts were matched for mechanical work output. RESULTS: During exercise, a significantly greater contribution of CHO and a lower contribution of lipid to energy expenditure were found in INT (512.7 +/- 26.6 and 41.0 +/- 14.0 kcal, respectively) than in C45% (406.3 +/- 21.2 and 170.3 +/- 24.0 kcal, respectively; P < 0.001) despite similar overall energy expenditure in both exercise trials (P = 0.13). During recovery, there were no significant differences between INT and C45% in substrate turnover and oxidation (P > 0.05). On the other hand, the mean contribution of lipids to energy yield was significantly higher after exercise trials (C45% = 61.3 +/- 4.2 kcal; INT = 66.7 +/- 4.7 kcal) than after CON (51.5 +/- 3.4 kcal; P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: These findings show that lipid oxidation during postexercise recovery was increased by a similar amount on two isoenergetic exercise bouts of different forms and intensities compared with the time-matched no-exercise control trial.

I poached this blurb from an unnamed source but some will remember why this sounds familiar.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...nect-pt-1.html

Steven Low 01-27-2009 02:24 PM

It exists...

It's not significant or anything... considering one pound of fat is 3600 calories. Lyle argues for the same thing (that it's not significant) in his HIIT vs. ET series.

Gant Grimes 01-27-2009 05:53 PM

I read about it on an unnamed source myself. I don't think this surprises anybody on this board. The keys for the Abz and Tats crowd is caloric deprivation (with healthy fat, ergo insulin control) via Zone, not magic intervals. In the gym, or in the kitchen, you still have to put the work in.

I'll give props to Steve Low (S-Low :) ) for advocating steady state cardio and weights/HIIT for the severely overweight to the CF crowd months ago. He was the lone voice in the wilderness.

Patrick Yeung 01-27-2009 05:58 PM

What is EPOC and what are you guys even discussing? Sorry, the study looked interesting, I have always thought that LSD was the way to go for fat loss, but then I learned that intervals were suppose to be much better.

From the looks of the studie's results, it dosent look like there is any difference really in fat loss at least.

But what is EPOC, or 'Abz/Tats' Gant is mentioning?

Derek Weaver 01-27-2009 06:13 PM

Let's see if I've got my acronyms up to par... EPOC = Excess Post Execise (hidden E in the acronym I guess) Oxygen Consumption.

If that's not it... at least it looks like it could be.

This is a Cosgrove thing if I remember right.. It's not really important in the big scheme of things. As in, it's not going to put your results over the top... so don't count on it doing so.

Abz/Tats... a group of people concerned with abs and tats.

Mike ODonnell 01-27-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Weaver (Post 48829)
Abz/Tats... a group of people concerned with abs and tats.

are the tats next to the lats?

Lyle said it best....intervals then slow-go for that stubborn fat....but that is the "stubborn fat"...which implies a level of fitness already.

Dave Van Skike 01-27-2009 06:33 PM

I advocate LSD all the time...but alternatively get a rash of shite for it from a whole host of quarters including abzandtatzandgunzmetconites.........or get accused of advocating recreational drug use, which i do

...IS THAT SO WRONG?

Derek Weaver 01-27-2009 06:38 PM

Mike,
Often the tats are ON the lats... it's cooler that way when you hit that bodybuilder lat pose and spread out the tribal.

Dave,
No, it's not wrong at all. There's room for everything. Including mescaline, lsd, peyote... and jogging.

I'm glad we're having this discussion.

George Mounce 01-28-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 48834)
I advocate LSD all the time...but alternatively get a rash of shite for it from a whole host of quarters including abzandtatzandgunzmetconites.........or get accused of advocating recreational drug use, which i do

...IS THAT SO WRONG?

Wrong, no. But I'm not a fan of it for two reasons. LSD is boring as hell (well at least to me and countless others), and since most people don't know how to run properly, it destroys their joints. (I personally tell people to row, rather than run.)

You have to remember to most "LSD" means getting on a elliptical at 5 resistance and going slow enough to talk on a cellphone and watch TV without breaking a sweat for 20 minutes. I'd rather they be coughing up phlegm during a 5 min session of intervals and call it good. Sorry, I may be a "metconite", but I'd rather be that then some lazy ass who isn't doing any good by going nice and slow.

I guess I just figure even the quote-unquote "LSD" elite would smoke most of us comparatively. I won't be running a 2:30 marathon anytime soon. If anything, I'd actually like to educate the masses that LSD is a lot faster then people realize, and "slow" is a misnomer.

Allen Yeh 01-28-2009 03:13 AM

Didn't Alwyn come out last year sometime saying he was wrong about EPOC and such?