Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Programming for CF Cert (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3781)

Chris Wood 02-02-2009 08:18 AM

Programming for CF Cert

I'm signed up for a CF Level I cert slated for April 25-26, 2009. I've been of the CFHQ WODs for a few months now, and have cycled between the CA WODs and Rut's MEBB programming since October. Here are some current numbers for me:

Age 37
Ht 5'11"
BW 175

High bar squat 320#
DL 405#
Press 165#
OHS 185#
C&J 200#
Snatch - 135# :mad:

Fran 5:40
Cindy 22 rounds
Helen 9:40

Eventually, I'd like to get a CFT > 1000, a 4:00 Fran, and a BW snatch/1.5 BW C&J. However, I'd rather break the strength barriers than the metcon barriers.

For the time being (Feb until the cert), what would you all recommend for programming in preparation for a CF cert? Mainpage WODs? Hybrid programming? CA WODs? Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Kevin Perry 02-02-2009 08:23 AM

As far as im aware there is nothing to program for, all your gonna do is maybe a few wods at the cert but thats it.

Garrett Smith 02-02-2009 08:31 AM

You'll be just fine.

There will be nothing at the cert that you haven't seen before. Your strength numbers will likely be among the top 10% (maybe even 5%) of the attendees. As long as you are in "metcon shape", you'll be fine.

From your training numbers, you'll likely be underwhelmed by the cert.

Allen Yeh 02-02-2009 08:35 AM

Good job, I would just keep doing what you have been doing!

Blair Lowe 02-02-2009 11:46 PM

Just rest up in preparation for the cert, sleep and dial in your food intake. If anything try a couple weeks before the cert of doing multiple WODS per day back to back.

Leo Soubbotine 02-03-2009 04:19 AM

Best advice is - sandbag at the cert a bit. Don't go 110% percent during the WoD's, may be 80% or so. It's not a CF Games qualifier, it's a place to learn.

Because if you do push really hard - you'll be sweating, cramping and having the hardest time remembering and writing down parts of the lecture and having a helluva time trying to hold the bottom of a squat/deadlift etc.

But you don't need any extra training prior to the cert.

Garrett Smith 02-03-2009 05:06 AM

Actually, Leo's advice there is probably the best in this thread so far.

You win no awards for puking, you only lose out on the learning experience if you're wasted from pushing too hard.

Steven Low 02-03-2009 10:50 AM

Take Leo's advice. :)

Gant Grimes 02-03-2009 01:26 PM

Leo's advice is excellent. No need to be "that guy." That includes not shaving your head or getting new tribal tats right before your cert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wood (Post 49310)
However, I'd rather break the strength barriers than the metcon barriers.

Keep this perspective, my good man. Don't let them change you.

josh everett 02-03-2009 02:05 PM

Chris
You won't be disapointed by the cert. I've been to literally dozens of these and i enjoy them all. the lectures never get old to me, I learn something new everytime. I say enjoy the workouts... if you've never trained with a big group it will be thrilling. The attendees and the trainers are top notch, there is a reason why these certs are so popular... it's an excellent weekend.
as for your training... your more than ready... you can never really be ready.