Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Just starting : need advice on programming (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3845)

Brian Gregory 02-10-2009 08:05 PM

Just starting : need advice on programming

I have just started the CA WOD after approx 1.5 yrs of Crossfit mainpage WOD. I have no real athletic background before this and no exposure to the olympic lifts. Through Crossfit I found that I really enjoy the O-lifts and I decided to devote some time to developing them. I will only be doing the CA WOD.

I recently, last weekend, competed in a local meet in Gainesville, GA. Coach CJ Stockel with Team GA Weightlifting allowed me to join his team. Anyways, I want to compete in another meet on March 7. I was looking for advice on where to start on the CA WOD cycle? I started monday at the beginning of Strength cycle 1 from December. Is this the optimal place to start? Obviously I would like to improve some on my previous meet #'s.

I snatched 75 kilos, C&J 105 kilos

I'm a 27 yoa male, BW 78kg, 5'10" tall

Derek Maffett 02-10-2009 08:28 PM

Ideally, you'll want to jump in on the Strength cycle like you did because the Bulgarian cycle can end up hurting you if you aren't ready for it.

But then again, you're not going to have a lot of preparation time (by the time the strength cycle ends for you, the meet will be right away), so this may not be the best idea.

Off hand, I'd say dump the metcon and work on getting your form down. Perhaps something kind of like the bulgarian cycle but scaled down in whatever ways necessary to keep from getting injured (throwing out the metcon will help with this).

But that's just my ignorant opinion. Understand that I know practically nothing about programming. Greg's input will be much more valuable here.

Brian Lawyer 02-11-2009 07:27 AM

Hey Derek, I have a similar question. My coach doesn't want me doing any Strength work, beyond Front squats and back squats, and perhaps some deadlifts. He thinks I am way too strong and stiff and only wants me working explosive work. As in no presses, only jerks, no "muscle" exercises as in Muscle snatch, and so forth.

So is there a cycle I can go back through the CA WOD archives and find that will suit my needs. Otherwise I have just been making up my own Hybrids but it would be nice to have something with a little more structure to follow.

Side note; Derek, you have seen my DC videos, so you probably know what he is talking about. You may have noticed how I am a little stiff and can just muscle my way through a missed snatch, or missed first or second pull.

Gavin Harrison 02-11-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 50209)
Hey Derek, I have a similar question. My coach doesn't want me doing any Strength work, beyond Front squats and back squats, and perhaps some deadlifts. He thinks I am way too strong and stiff and only wants me working explosive work. As in no presses, only jerks, no "muscle" exercises as in Muscle snatch, and so forth.

So is there a cycle I can go back through the CA WOD archives and find that will suit my needs. Otherwise I have just been making up my own Hybrids but it would be nice to have something with a little more structure to follow.

Side note; Derek, you have seen my DC videos, so you probably know what he is talking about. You may have noticed how I am a little stiff and can just muscle my way through a missed snatch, or missed first or second pull.

I'd just buy, read, implement relax into stretch, and keep up the strength work.

Brian Lawyer 02-11-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks Gavin. I was thinking about getting a Pavel book.

My coach has also been pushing me towards z-health in an effort to try to get me to relax while lifting. He says I look like I'm trying to lift the weight with my face cause I get so tensed up.

I still wouldn't mind knowing if there is a "Cycle" included in CA WOD that I should try. My coach is pushing me towards working full snatches and C&J's, as opposed to working any one particular movement, as in muscle snatch. And he wants everything explosive. Like even when I do front squats, I am supposed to be trying to make the bar hit my nose.

Brian Lawyer 02-11-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison (Post 50240)
I'd just buy, read, implement relax into stretch, and keep up the strength work.

I had considered that book before but it didn't get the best of reviews on Amazon. But if you recommend, maybe I will look into it again. Just looking at the contents it appears to be some form of Active Isolation stretching (AIS) where as you contract the opposite muscle that you are trying to stretch. I have the Wharton's book on AIS. I believe the Wharton's were one of the pioneers of this method of stretching.

I generally trust amazon stars. For some odd reason, I find them amazingly accurate. I usually look at two things, first how many people in total gave a rating, which is usually a good indication as to the popularity of the book, and secondly, how many 1 stars did it get. Then I usually skim over the 1 star ratings to see if they are BS or not. That book had a high amount of one stars and 3 stars. I never trust all the 5 stars ratings. I figure publishers get on their to cheerlead their books...haha.

Derek Maffett 02-11-2009 04:08 PM

Brian, the Bulgarian cycle with its particular emphasis on full Snatch and C&J sounds like about what you want. The Mike's Gym version in particular uses this without the metcon (I haven't researched what the exact programming is for the Mike's Gym WOD, so I don't know precisely how it works, but check it out. The recent workouts seem to be kind of along the lines of what you're talking about. I don't know of any other programs unless Greg went over something like it in his book (I can recheck if you want, or you can if you have the book).

http://www.mikesgym.org/wod.php

Gavin Harrison 02-11-2009 04:21 PM

Brian,

I found the book pretty useful for two reasons, it describes a few ways you should be stretching, mostly passive/static and PNF. Also, the second half of the book has a bunch of stretches with photos to illustrate, with various progressions.

Brian Lawyer 02-11-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Maffett (Post 50258)
Brian, the Bulgarian cycle with its particular emphasis on full Snatch and C&J sounds like about what you want. The Mike's Gym version in particular uses this without the metcon (I haven't researched what the exact programming is for the Mike's Gym WOD, so I don't know precisely how it works, but check it out. The recent workouts seem to be kind of along the lines of what you're talking about. I don't know of any other programs unless Greg went over something like it in his book (I can recheck if you want, or you can if you have the book).

http://www.mikesgym.org/wod.php

Thanks Derek. I don't have a problem with Metcon's. Was that the only reason you recommended Mike's gym. So should I search through the CA WOD archives and find when the "bulgarian" cycles start and check those out.

Derek Maffett 02-11-2009 05:06 PM

Either should work. I'm pretty sure the CA WOD has muscle snatches and stuff as minor assistance exercises, but I somewhat doubt that would be a problem. I mention the Mike's Gym WOD also because it may have some additional differences in the programming compared to the CA WOD. Likely nothing too critical besides the addition of metcon and thus slight reduction in lifting in the latter. I don't know of any article Mr. Burgener may have written like Greg's which explains his WOD, so you may have to ask the makers about any specific differences.

But like I said, there probably won't be any critical difference between the Mike's Gym WOD and the 4-week Bulgarian cycle of the CA WOD (shouldn't particularly matter which past cycle you grab). Since the Bulgarian cycle is more draining, it would likely be a good idea not to simply move from one such cycle to another, skipping the Strength. If you are going to be skipping the strength cycle, some extra time recovering between cycles may be necessary for the sake of injury avoidance.