Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AC Joint Rehab (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3850)

R. Alan Hester 02-11-2009 08:25 AM

AC Joint Rehab

Ok, being a dumb kid at BJJ last night, I injured the AC Joint in my right shoulder (injured it doing poor shoulder rolls too many times). I continued to train, but had to roll with my right arm in my belt, so I would not use it.

I am 99% positive it is a grade 1 injury, at most grade 2, as I have the classic symptoms of a grade 1. No loss of strength or range of motion, just smarts like a son-of-a-gun with pinpoint pressure on joint and when I bring my hands together with extended arms, as well as when I am in the side plank position on that shoulder.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have the doctor x-ray and determine the exact diagnosis. Anyways, I don't want to pay for PT rehab, so I need some exercises and strategies, please.

Alan

Steven Low 02-11-2009 09:08 AM

Depends on what it is... AC joint sprain, separation, etc. Might not even be that. Can't really do much without a better diagnosis from a doc...

The answer might just to be rest with massage and ice.

Garrett Smith 02-11-2009 09:35 AM

Leave it alone, exercise-wise.

Traumeel gel and tabs could be helpful.

PM me if you want info on how you could get a cold laser to self-treat the soft-tissue.

You might even want to look into prolotherapy. The AC ligaments are likely stretched, and your shoulder may never be the same again unless the joint is tightened back up.

Come back with the diagnosis.

R. Alan Hester 02-11-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 50216)
Leave it alone, exercise-wise.

Traumeel gel and tabs could be helpful.

PM me if you want info on how you could get a cold laser to self-treat the soft-tissue.

You might even want to look into prolotherapy. The AC ligaments are likely stretched, and your shoulder may never be the same again unless the joint is tightened back up.

Come back with the diagnosis.

Dr. G,

Thanks for the input. Luckily, a prolotherapy doc is down the street from me.

I will return with a Dx tomorrow.

Thanks.

Garrett Smith 02-11-2009 11:12 AM

You're lucky to have someone so close. If you're going to get it done (prolo), get it sooner rather than later.

Nice thing about the AC joint and prolo is the joint is so superficial...really easy to hit the targets.

R. Alan Hester 02-12-2009 10:25 AM

Diagnosis: AC Joint Type I Shoulder Separation:
A type I shoulder separation is an injury to the capsule that surrounds the AC joint. The bones are not out of position and the primary symptom is pain.

Treatment: initial bolus of hand shake and removal of money from pants, then Naproxen 500 mg PO followed by 250 mg q6-8h.

PT Education: no shoulder rolls for 2-3 weeks; further treatment recommendation of Cortisone injection at injury site if pain persists past 8-12 weeks. :eek: I will comply with the former, not the latter. No way am I entering that spiral at 32 years of age.

Steven Low 02-12-2009 10:38 AM

lol, funny analysis... but kinda disturbingly true sometimes.

Rest rest rest. Work on some weaknesses or something like flexibility.

Garrett Smith 02-12-2009 01:15 PM

All the naproxen and cortisone injection will do is maybe help you be in less pain while your body attempts to fix the problem (you probably already knew that). If cortisone is brought up again, I'd say go see the prolo guy (I'd say go see him anyway).

I worked on an AC joint last night with some neural injection therapy, actually. We'll see how it turns out. If it goes well, I'd be happy to share it with you so you could share it with an open doc.

Mike Kesthely 03-31-2009 09:57 PM

Any update on the AC joint?