Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Slow cooker suggestions... (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3856)

Tony Ferous 02-12-2009 02:06 AM

Slow cooker suggestions...
 
Ok a slow cooker isnt a recipe, but does anyone have recommendations for what kind to choose or if they are useful?

I really want it for convenience...id like to throw a hunk of meat and big chunks of veg into it walk away then be left with a few meals worth of food cooked in one hit with minimum washing and prep time.

I hear of people pluging them into timer switches to cut off after x hours if it doesnt have that function.

Other option is perhaps a steamer..?

thanks!!

Michael Drew 02-12-2009 05:45 AM

Get a big one. I think I have a Rival, I am using it right now as a matter of fact Hearty short ribs. I originally had a very small one and I couldn't do anything with it so I gave it away today. Get a large one.

Stephen Sullivan 02-12-2009 07:00 AM

I have a 7-quart slow cooker. I love it. For what they do they are pretty cheap. Only problem with the 7-quart is I have to make a lot of food in it to cook efficiently. It is a really nice problem to have! Almost everything I make can be frozen, thawed and eaten later.

My recommendation is to get a programmable one if you want to cook while you are at work. Preferably one that goes from cooking to a warm setting. The warm setting will keep the food at a safe temperature. The one I have can cook on high for x hours and then switch to low for x hours and then to warm.

I usually prepare the food Sunday night and throw the crock in the fridge and start the cooking on Monday morning. The house smells fantastic when I get home from the gym Monday night.

Don't use a timer switch to turn on your crock pot. You don't want your food sitting around at room temp.

Some of the things I've cooked: pork butt, beef brisket, chicken soup, guinness stew, bone in turkey breast and chili.

George Mounce 02-12-2009 07:41 AM

Meat + meggies is always a hit at our house in the slow cooker.

Jay Cohen 02-12-2009 10:02 AM

I have this model, works great. Service is outstanding. Had small issue with timer, they sent me a new one, no questions.

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/program...-spoonlid.html

Ari Kestler 02-12-2009 02:42 PM

I've tried it a couple times...not the biggest fan compared to other methods of cooking... I've tried both chicken and various cuts of meat....the meat was pretty well-done as to be expected...and I really like my meat rare, so obviously I'm going to prefer searing...as for hte chicken, despite being immersed in broth, vegetables and sauce it still came out dry...

That being said...definitely the easiest way to mass cook food with easy clean up...


Perhaps I didn't try enough recipes...

Neill Smith 02-16-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Drew (Post 50310)
Get a big one. I think I have a Rival, I am using it right now as a matter of fact Hearty short ribs. I originally had a very small one and I couldn't do anything with it so I gave it away today. Get a large one.

Michael,

Do you have the short rib recipe?

Cheers,
Neill

Frank Needham 02-17-2009 10:44 AM

pot roast in a slow cooker, hmmmm, slurp, burp, slurp some more.....making my mouth water thinking about the dang stuff!

Michael Drew 02-17-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neill Occhiogrosso (Post 50736)
Michael,

Do you have the short rib recipe?

Cheers,
Neill

http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipes.aspx



Hearty Beef Short Ribs
User Rating: Cook Time
Slow Cooker
5 - 5.5 Quarts
6 - 6.5 Quarts
Ingredients
2 ½ lbs of beef short ribs, bone in
1-2 tablespoons coarse salt
1-2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 celery stalks, cut into ¼ inch dice
1 large yellow onion, cut into ¼ inch dice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 bay leaves
Directions
Season each short rib with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper and coat with olive oil.
Heat 1 T olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sear short ribs until just browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
Top meat with celery, carrots, onions, garlic and bay leaves.
In a separate bowl, combine wine, crushed tomato, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Pour into Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours, turning once or twice, until meat is tender and easily falling from bone.
Remove ribs from Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Using an immersion blender (or traditional blender), puree the sauce, leaving some chunkiness.
Pour over ribs and serve.

http://www.crock-pot.com/recipe.aspx?rid=194

Mike ODonnell 02-17-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Drew (Post 50819)
http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipes.aspx



Hearty Beef Short Ribs
User Rating: Cook Time
Slow Cooker
5 - 5.5 Quarts
6 - 6.5 Quarts
Ingredients
2 ½ lbs of beef short ribs, bone in
1-2 tablespoons coarse salt
1-2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 celery stalks, cut into ¼ inch dice
1 large yellow onion, cut into ¼ inch dice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 bay leaves
Directions
Season each short rib with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper and coat with olive oil.
Heat 1 T olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sear short ribs until just browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
Top meat with celery, carrots, onions, garlic and bay leaves.
In a separate bowl, combine wine, crushed tomato, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Pour into Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours, turning once or twice, until meat is tender and easily falling from bone.
Remove ribs from Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Using an immersion blender (or traditional blender), puree the sauce, leaving some chunkiness.
Pour over ribs and serve.

http://www.crock-pot.com/recipe.aspx?rid=194

Dear god that was like reading porn for food addicts.....I need a smoke....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.