Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Recovery Workouts (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3963)

Matthieu Hertilus 03-04-2009 06:56 PM

Recovery Workouts

I am someone that just hates taking days off from the gym. Other than taking Sunday off, I feel as though I can train hard every day even though I know it would be much better to have recovery workouts or rest days. That being said, what about doing metcon work with weights on a recovery day. Like a kettlbell ladder or barbell complex (like the Javorian complex) where I would be using lighter weights but mainly for the purpose of conditioning. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the subject.

Steven Low 03-04-2009 09:31 PM

1/2 intensity or 1/2 volume work fairly well.

Density training... except like 1/2 density tends to work decent too.

Daniel Olmstead 03-04-2009 10:28 PM

I'll typically do half-weight or half-volume. Skill practice at a fairly weight is good, too, to hone form.

Gant Grimes 03-05-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus (Post 52264)
I am someone that just hates taking days off from the gym.
I feel as though I can train hard every day even though I know it would be much better to have recovery workouts or rest days.

At least you've recognized your addiction. Your progress will improve once you do something about it.

Play frisbee, ride a bike, go kayaking. Do something active outside of the gym.

Garrett Smith 03-05-2009 07:20 AM

Mobility work. Gymnastic skill stuff. Do stuff outside, like Gant say. Go for a long walk in nature.

Brian Lawyer 03-05-2009 11:03 AM

Even like 30 minutes of Zone 1 cardio, I am talking Max HR zones. Followed by stretching and mobility work will do wonders for recovery. A 20 or 30 minutes in zone 1, something real light like bike or elliptical, really helps flush junk out of your muscles, along with the stretching. I say junk because I don't know the terminology, I guess lactaid acid build up or other stuff. Dr. G probably knows what I am talking about.

Steven Low 03-05-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 52327)
Even like 30 minutes of Zone 1 cardio, I am talking Max HR zones. Followed by stretching and mobility work will do wonders for recovery. A 20 or 30 minutes in zone 1, something real light like bike or elliptical, really helps flush junk out of your muscles, along with the stretching. I say junk because I don't know the terminology, I guess lactaid acid build up or other stuff. Dr. G probably knows what I am talking about.

Lactic acid is not the cause of soreness or anything else like that...

Blood flow just helps healing because of supply and removal of waste products of regular metabolism for healing the muscles.

michael blevins 04-03-2009 12:44 AM

Use your fitness!!! ride, run explore get out and put all that work to use, as for recovery I find hiking to a glacier lake and swimming 1000m works wonders for me. or just swimming in general

Matthieu Hertilus 04-08-2009 05:35 PM

I understand the danger in 'overtraining,' spending too much time in the gym, and the importance of rest, but I don't think it's [i]that[i] big an issue for someone who is highly motivated and who's goals go beyond simply just being strong or big for no other reason than that. I also believe that cryotherapy, soft tissue work, stretching and nutrition play a big role in recovery, which I also take seriously, other than just resting (anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong).

That being said, what are people's opinions on using the prowler or sled dragging for a recovery workout? I've been doing the CA WODs {just finished the strength cycle, on week 1 of the bulgarian cycle) w/o the metcon and I feel this could be very beneficial.

I'm always open for discussion on these types of topics as my main purpose from joining this forum was to become more knowledgable about the science of athletic performance.

Steven Low 04-08-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

I understand the danger in 'overtraining,' spending too much time in the gym, and the importance of rest, but I don't think it's [i]that[i] big an issue for someone who is highly motivated and who's goals go beyond simply just being strong or big for no other reason than that. I also believe that cryotherapy, soft tissue work, stretching and nutrition play a big role in recovery, which I also take seriously, other than just resting (anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong).
If you're saying that you're probably not at the level where you have to worry about that.

Quote:

That being said, what are people's opinions on using the prowler or sled dragging for a recovery workout? I've been doing the CA WODs {just finished the strength cycle, on week 1 of the bulgarian cycle) w/o the metcon and I feel this could be very beneficial.
Try it out.