Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Waterbury's "waking up the nervous system" protocol (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3972)

Garrett Smith 03-05-2009 04:51 PM

Waterbury's "waking up the nervous system" protocol

From his latest T-Nation article:
Quote:

3. Ignite Your Nervous System

Your nervous system has direct control over your muscles. Problem is, many of us walk into the gym in a daze, either straight from work or right out of bed. Well, if you're half asleep, so is your nervous system. This severely impedes your ability to generate maximum force with each exercise. In other words, a lazy nervous system keeps you from recruiting more muscle fibers.

The good news is there's an easy fix to this problem. Here's what you should do to fire up your nervous system:
  • Jump rope for 1 minute
  • Rest for 15 seconds
  • *Run at top speed for 10 seconds
  • Rest 15 seconds
  • Hang from a pull-up bar for 15 seconds

*If there's no room to run, perform maximal bodyweight jump squats for 10 seconds.

These three simple exercises take only two minutes, but they do wonders for your workout performance. The rope jumping and sprint "wake up" your nervous system; the hang opens the intervertebral space in your spinal column to free up nerve transmissions to your muscles. (This is akin to taking the kinks out of a garden hose.)
Since I'm typically working out in less than an hour from waking up, I definitely want to give this a try. I had already been doing 250 single bounce jump ropes before my joint mobility, so that's easy...I'll likely do the jump squat variation...and hanging on the bar is always nice. If anyone else tries it, please leave some feedback here.

George Mounce 03-05-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 52368)
From his latest T-Nation article:

Since I'm typically working out in less than an hour from waking up, I definitely want to give this a try. I had already been doing 250 single bounce jump ropes before my joint mobility, so that's easy...I'll likely do the jump squat variation...and hanging on the bar is always nice. If anyone else tries it, please leave some feedback here.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and post results of how I feel.

Steven Low 03-05-2009 06:44 PM

Sounds like a decent idea. I usually just jump around for a bit before doing my sets... I am try this and see if it works better.

Mike ODonnell 03-05-2009 07:14 PM

Coffee plus explosive low weight movements push/pull have always worked for me.....that and quick sprints on the elliptical....nothing heavy or really resistive...just enough to go fast and explosive for 30 sec each movement.

Strength is all about the CNS....makes only sense you want that awake

Garrett Smith 03-06-2009 05:12 AM

MOD + elliptical?

What is the world coming to?!?!

Mike ODonnell 03-06-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 52394)
MOD + elliptical?

What is the world coming to?!?!

Ha....that's warmup for training in the gym....it has a nice cup holder too...that and it's the quickest way I can warmup my upper and lower body without tiring out the muscles....as I ramp the speeds up and down with little resistance...as it's just a CNS wake up, not a workout.

Derek Simonds 03-06-2009 06:51 AM

I also like it and will give it a go. Looks like a quick and easy way to get the CNS activated.

George Mounce 03-06-2009 11:29 AM

Felt great - don't know if it really woke me up but I liked it!

Gant Grimes 03-06-2009 02:07 PM

It only works if you drink the Surge.

Kevin Perry 03-06-2009 02:24 PM

shoot Im not functional in the mornings.