Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Deadlift foot stance (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3990)

Greg Davis 03-08-2009 11:39 AM

Deadlift foot stance

Myth: A "comfortable" deadlift setup is best.

Quote:

Chances are, with a few weeks of focused training, you could improve your deadlift PR by a whopping 30 to 50 pounds. How? By changing your stance, which is often the limiting factor for novice and intermediate lifters.

A shoulder-width stance is too wide for most people, yet it's where many settle. If your knees are buckling in even slightly on your near-max lifts, that's a sign that you need to narrow your stance.

Hip-width is ideal for most lifters, as it allows you to get your hips lower, keep your chest up, and maintain a better arch in your lower back. It may feel awkward at first, but it'll improve your leverage, an extremely important factor in moving heavy weight.
This has made me consider my foot stance for DLs. I'm assuming that someone on the longer leg/limb spectrum would benefit from closer feet and that a stockier guy (shorter legs/limbs) would benefit more from wider/sumo. Have I got the correlation in the right direction? Or is it even possible to draw that generalization?

George Mounce 03-08-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Davis (Post 52558)
Myth: A "comfortable" deadlift setup is best.

This has made me consider my foot stance for DLs. I'm assuming that someone on the longer leg/limb spectrum would benefit from closer feet and that a stockier guy (shorter legs/limbs) would benefit more from wider/sumo. Have I got the correlation in the right direction? Or is it even possible to draw that generalization?

From SS 2nd Ed on the deadlift (p. 111):

"The stance for the deadlift is about the same as the stance for a flat-footed vertical jump, about 12-15 inches between the heels with the toes very slightly out."

I don't see how it should be uncomfortable, but it is not a squat and therefore a wide stance (unless of course doing a sumo deadlift) isn't what its about.

I don't think its possible to draw that generalization as people come in all shapes and sizes. Some people have legs like a 6'4" person but an upper body of a 5'10" person and end up being 6'. I do think people should try a variety of positions that fit their anatomy and find what works best to apply the best transfer of force to the bar. A good video demonstration of the lift for others to critique or a coach can help and athlete obtain that starting position.

Matthew Bacorn 03-08-2009 07:22 PM

I don't know if it's helpful, but the narrower my stance is, the greater foot angle I feel like i need. I think it has something to do with glute/ham activation, but I might be off base here.

Adam Gagliardi 03-09-2009 08:44 AM

imo the ripp quote works well if your OLY lifting, for those who are just looking to pull some weight-PL/ strongman...i think the closer stance works better, but i was taught to DL ..almost frog style i guess you would call it...by a guy with a 700+ pull...obviously this wont work for everyone. I think most people start off too wide. I guess it basically comes down to, are you trying to up your clean or trying to DL , I look at the 2 as very differnet moves.

Dave Van Skike 03-09-2009 02:45 PM

as long as it's not sumo it's fine.

JK, sumo's fine,

except that it's cheating.

Adam Gagliardi 03-10-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 52641)
as long as it's not sumo it's fine.

JK, sumo's fine,

except that it's cheating.

hahahhahaha....love it.