Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Proper Clean Technique (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4005)

Craig Bailey 03-11-2009 04:13 AM

Proper Clean Technique

I recently watched a video on a Crossfit affiliate page touting a PR by one of their members in the clean and jerk. While performing the Clean the person caught the weight in the split jerk position instead of the front squat. Since Iím relatively new to OLY lifting I was wondering if this is a modified clean or just poor technique.

Blair Lowe 03-11-2009 04:31 AM

I think I've seen some footage of split clean and snatch but I'll admit it's weird. I want to say I think I've seen the other Everett do it.

Sam Nutt 03-11-2009 07:03 AM

Yeah, it was almost certainly Josh Everett. It's not poor technique, just uncommonly done.

Robert Callahan 03-11-2009 01:44 PM

google "split snatch" or "split clean" They are leagal, though uncommon because they are less efficient movements? I think people use them when there are flexibility issues with preforming squat cleans or snatches? Someone correct me if I am wrong :)

Don Stevenson 03-12-2009 04:43 AM

Until the early 70's split clean and snatch were very common.

These days most lifters can lift more with the squat versions but they are still legal in competitions and heaps of masters lifters still use the split because it's the only way they've ever lifted.

Aaron Austin 03-12-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Callahan (Post 52797)
google "split snatch" or "split clean" They are leagal, though uncommon because they are less efficient movements? I think people use them when there are flexibility issues with preforming squat cleans or snatches? Someone correct me if I am wrong :)

Robert, I believe you are correct in saying they are alternative to the squat style if flexibility is a problem. This is how they were introduced to me by my coach. However, my flexibility issues were in my wrist, forearm and triceps my issue was with the bar racking in my shoulders regardless of foot position.

Robert Callahan 03-12-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Austin (Post 52844)
Robert, I believe you are correct in saying they are alternative to the squat style if flexibility is a problem. This is how they were introduced to me by my coach. However, my flexibility issues were in my wrist, forearm and triceps my issue was with the bar racking in my shoulders regardless of foot position.

Yeah I can't see how it would help wrist, forearm, triceps flexibility issues much... I believe it is hamstring inflexibility that it mainly assists for. If you have super tight hamstrings getting into a deep deep squat, whether overhead or front, is not going to be easy or safe at times.

Aaron Austin 03-13-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Callahan (Post 52862)
Yeah I can't see how it would help wrist, forearm, triceps flexibility issues much... I believe it is hamstring inflexibility that it mainly assists for. If you have super tight hamstrings getting into a deep deep squat, whether overhead or front, is not going to be easy or safe at times.

Quite right. I had to do daily static stretching to build the wrist, forearm and tricep flexibility.