Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Well, it's official :-D (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4109)

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-30-2009 12:14 PM

Well, it's official :-D

I finally got my complete Werksan set (bar, plates, small plates, and collars) this past weekend. And it only caused minor damage from the fry pan (of the wife :rolleyes: ).

I reckon i'm now officially a "weightlifter" of some sort?

Next step, Werksan women's bar for my little girls. :D

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise 03-30-2009 12:58 PM

awesome, I cant wait till I have a place with a garage, so I can get my own set as well. how much did your set run you? and how many kg is it?

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-30-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise (Post 54044)
awesome, I cant wait till I have a place with a garage, so I can get my own set as well. how much did your set run you? and how many kg is it?

Werksan sets are not cheap. Sorta the Rolls Royce of weightlifting equipment. The Bars are top of the line. Set comes with 25, 20, 15, and 10kg bumpers. The loose smaller plates run I think run 5kgs, 2kgs, 1kgs, and .5 kgs. Then the collars are 2.5kg a piece.

Mine's an economy training set. Not the competition set. I don't want to die too young. :o

http://www.werksanusa.com/products-bars-collars.asp

I already have about 400 pounds of kraiburg bumpers, and 2 25kg werksan and 2 10kg werksan at my home gym, in addition to a wholllllllle bunch of other stuff (jerk boxes, technique boxes, power cage, kettlebell sets 8kg to 48kg, axles, stones, rings, all my lumberjack stuff, etc. - It's my man cave/fortress of solitude).

The older I get the more I love training at home, but the Charleston YMCA recently granted me approval to construct a platform in the Weight training area. I'm going to donate some of the kraiburgs to the cause.

I'm starting to get others in my area intersted in olympic lifting. It's such an awesome sport. No super suits, no knee wraps, no nothing - just yourself and a barbell.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh 03-30-2009 02:20 PM

Now all you have to do is start lifting "real" weights....

Seriously though that is sweet, I think you should throw some pics of your home gym in here.

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-30-2009 02:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 54052)
Now all you have to do is start lifting "real" weights....

Seriously though that is sweet, I think you should throw some pics of your home gym in here.

:-D Agreed on the real weights part. If only I could clean what I can jerk. This time last year I could axle clean and press more than I could clean and jerk with a barbell. My clean is slowly approaching my pulling capacity. This time last year, I was cleaning about 33% of what I could deadlift. Now, I'm over 40%. No real goal at this point other than perfecting the technique as best I can.

I think all the pics of my home gym I have at work are really dated, but I'll look and see. Yeah, the ones i've added are over two years old. Doesn't have the parthanon 12x8 platform and the jerk boxes, etc. in it. I'll update later. I'm very proud of my man cave. It's pretty dirty right now. I've been event training quite a bit lately.

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise 03-30-2009 08:38 PM

your home gym is flippin awesome. you could so charge people to use it lol.

Kevin Perry 03-30-2009 08:54 PM

Is that a reverse hyper in the near right side Arden?

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-31-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise (Post 54094)
your home gym is flippin awesome. you could so charge people to use it lol.

Thanks so much. But I'll never charge anyone anything. I'm a USAW club coach and I volunteer my time at Crossfit WV and the Charleston YMCA to those who are interested in learning how to olympic lift. I just love having others to lift/train with. If that makes any sense? I have a great job/career and lifting/lumberjack sports are my hobbies/passions.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-31-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Perry (Post 54096)
Is that a reverse hyper in the near right side Arden?

Yep. I kind of wish I never bought the darn thing. I only use it ocassionally and those funds should have been better spent on something else.

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise 03-31-2009 12:44 PM

your a good man. and you never know when you might want to do reverse hypers and now you can, just look at it that away lol. I think all you really could add to that would be a GHD.