Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Switching it up (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4157)

Matthieu Hertilus 04-09-2009 12:30 PM

Switching it up

What are some ways to switch up your die if fat loss has stalled. I eat all clean foods, supplement w/ BCAAs and creatine (pre and post workout), and usually eat when im hungry (which equates to about twice a day). Anyone have any ideas of what i need to do to get my fat loss going again?

Adolfo Riveron 04-09-2009 02:11 PM

Fasting and carb cycling/timing are usually the most common responses to that question.

Matthieu Hertilus 04-09-2009 03:15 PM

well my carbs are pretty low as it is: only veggies, nuts and 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day

I also wanted to know how is too low in terms of calories/day and time between meals. Don't cortisol levels increase and metabolism decrease with too few calories or too long a wait between meals thus blunting fat loss and creeping into muscle loss?

Derek Weaver 04-09-2009 07:01 PM

Yes, you're going to get screwed up results if you keep cals too low for too long.

Do you have any idea of how many cals. you're eating everyday?

What do the rest of your day's activities look like? Too few calories, plus too much exercises ends up with a body that will fight back very hard in terms of fat loss.

Low carbs = depleted glycogen with time and or enough training volume which encourages fatty acid oxidation all over. Look at Body Opus, Ultimate Diet, Ultimate Diet 2.0 or even The Anabolic Diet and Natural Hormonal Enhancement for variations on CKD's.

Deliberate high carb overfeeding can help to upregulate hormones that tend to take a hit when in a prolonged and/or severe deficit.

How long have you been in fat loss mode?

Matthieu Hertilus 04-09-2009 07:50 PM

It's been about a month. My calories usually end up between 1400-1800 again all from veggies, animal protein, good fats, little fruit. To make up for lack of protein and calories, i take about 15g BCAAs a day (usually 5g pre and post workout which I also use to replace solid meals at that time, and 5 more later in the day. The BCAAs are usually mixed with some creatine as I thought this combination would make up for the lack of calories.

I do mostly o'lifiting which if I'm not mistaken doesn't exhaust glycogen stores to the extent that other forms of exercise does. I really don't know how I would fit in more carbs since grains just don't sit well with me and I usually have only about 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day. I just get full very quickly.

Derek Weaver 04-09-2009 08:16 PM

Why only 1 or 2 pieces of fruit per day?

What's the rest of your activity like? Do you hit your oly and then sit at a desk all day?

What kind of volume are you doing for your oly workouts?

Steven Low 04-10-2009 07:44 AM

How much do you weigh?

How much do you want to weigh?

Derek Weaver 04-10-2009 10:25 AM

If I remember right, the OP weighs something around 170 from another thread he's got about Oly and PL comps. (solid strength numbers by the way).

On average it seems you've been taking in between 8-11 cals/lb of BW.

My advice. Take a diet break for at least two weeks. Just eat normally, don't fear carbs, get in at least 100-150 grams/day and then come back at it.

Matthieu Hertilus 04-11-2009 08:22 AM

does the carb source matter because i feel that fruit works best for me than grains, though wouldn't that be too much sugar?

Derek Weaver 04-11-2009 04:58 PM

Yes it does matter. Head over to Lyle's forums and check some of that out.

His Guide to Flexible Dieting is well worth the price and goes through a lot of this. Well, most of his books go through this to some extent I suppose, but GFD is very solid.

Read around, and if you want, PM me for some article and links that may help you out.