Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rapid Fat Loss vs. Velocity Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4183)

Emily Mattes 04-14-2009 07:20 AM

Rapid Fat Loss vs. Velocity Diet

I'm 5'6'', 173, ~25-26% body fat, currently halfway into Week 2 of the Velocity Diet, and I have only lost a total of two or three pounds total.

Last time I did the V-Diet I only lost six pounds across the whole month (and it's not for lack of body fat to lose), so I'm worried this will be a repeat. I thought last time it was because I hadn't used Metabolic Drive past the first five or six days and I hadn't done NEPA, but this time I'm using MD the whole way through and doing at least 30 minutes of NEPA a day on top of Olympic lifting four times a week and the results are looking to pan out the same.

I'm thinking of switching to Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss plan, but don't want to cut out on the V-Diet early. Normally I would just chill out on the V-Diet, see if it works, and try RFL after, but there are two considerations: first, I need to drop fifteen pounds by June 15th, and second, starting the first week of May my coach is putting me on a strength cycle and does not want me on any extreme diets. Therefore, I have until the end of April and the end of April only to get a head start on the fifteen pounds so I can lose the rest at a reasonable rate through May and June.

Could someone give me any advice on the merits (or not) of switching? Anyone have experience with both diets?

Previous to this, I lost a little under twenty pounds at a reasonable rate since November, then the past month or two got derailed and plateaued. It was on a pretty low-carb diet, with the calories higher than I get on the V-Diet but the carbs lower.

Steven Low 04-14-2009 09:43 AM

6 lbs in a month is actually good. 1 lbs a week is actually probably standard recommendation, and it's not like you are actually in obese BF%...

If you're plateauing after 2-3 weeks then may switch up the diet. I would ride out the current one until it doesn't work anymore TBH.

I don't have any experience with each though so I can't help you there.

Derek Weaver 04-14-2009 11:24 AM

How long had you been dieting before this current run on the V-Diet?

Emily Mattes 04-14-2009 12:04 PM

I was seriously keeping on top of my diet from December to mid-February, at which point a job derailed me for a few weeks and after that I wasn't completely on the horse.

Also, I would be pretty happy with 6lbs in a month if it wasn't the Velocity Diet. I can lose 6-8 lbs in a month on the previous diet I was following--the goal of the V-Diet was to speed things along a bit. If I can lose the same amount of weight on solid foods while eating a bit more and not sacrificing workouts, then why V-Diet/RFL at all? I expected a bit more from something that said there would be Amazing! Results! if I lived off of starvation levels of protein shakes for a month.

Dave Van Skike 04-14-2009 01:41 PM

Women I think have not always had stellar results with the V-diet, plus you're not all giant and fat, so 6 pounds in a month is real progress at your current BF.

If I were you, I'd stick it out to the end of the diet but feel free to mix in real food instead of shakes. I did a modified v-diet and lost 28 pounds. 20 of which stayed off, I had a cheat meal every weekend and ate meat for dinner every night. Buy Lyle's book and start tweaking in a way that makes it more sustainable and DO count calories.

Steven Low 04-14-2009 04:44 PM

What Dave said.

You gotta remember that the more BF you lose the hard it is to get more pounds to come off.

Just like strength... the stronger you get the harder it is to make any "significant" progress. We're all fighting for mostly 5-10 lbs PRs while novices could do that every week.

Derek Weaver 04-15-2009 12:32 PM

Emily,
Where do you have your calories set on the V-Diet? I failed miserably attempting the V-Diet (headaches and intense loss of strength caused me to abandon it), but I think it has its merits for people able to keep up with it.

Mike ODonnell 04-15-2009 01:02 PM

Do low carbs/low cal during the week.....do higher (whole food) carbs (less fat) with maintenance calories on weekend. Carbs can help reset that whole "leptin" thing that may be key to dieting long term.

Too much crash dieting will crash your metabolic system. Crash your metabolic system and you will eventually rebound and gain it all back. Hence words like "velocity" and "rapid" with a word like "diet" is probably not a lasting solution.

Emily Mattes 04-15-2009 01:24 PM

Calories for V-Diet are at about 1350/1700. Calories for diet pre-V-Diet were at 1800-2100 (higher during my squat cycle, lower off of it). I was pretty much doing what you suggest, Mike, since I'd have a moderate cheat meal/day about once a week.

I definitely do not see RFL or V-Diet as a long-term maintenance solution. As stated, it was a way to enable me to reach my goal of 155 or 19% body fat by June 15th (mainly because I made an unwise bet in November that I would have to get a tattoo of a Disney Princess if I didn't). If this was for a vacation or a wedding or something else it wouldn't be stressing me out as much.

Mike ODonnell 04-15-2009 06:05 PM

what's your workout schedule?

Women tend to need alot more slo-go movement for weight loss than men.....intervals alone won't cut it.

Quote:

Calories for V-Diet are at about 1350/1700.
For a quick weight loss diet....that seems rather high for a woman. Considering Zone would have most at like 1000 cal and precontest figure models are at cycles of 800 cal with 45min of walking daily (sometimes twice) to not waste muscle.