Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community & Events (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Girl at the Gym (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4195)

Dave Van Skike 04-16-2009 10:25 AM

New Girl at the Gym

Former D1 thrower.

She's a big girl with perfect proportions (not those kind, I'm talking limb lengths)

First day she squatted 405 for 3, hit depth and didn't struggle. worked up to 430 for a single.

She's never deadlifted....ever, pulled 320 for 3 easily last night once we got her to be patient off the bottom.

Truly awesome to see raw talent like that.

Gant Grimes 04-16-2009 12:20 PM

What, you didn't have her doing Zerchers?

Which direction is she wanting to go?

Dave Van Skike 04-16-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 55403)
What, you didn't have her doing Zerchers?

Which direction is she wanting to go?

Soon...Very Soon....

however, I'm likely one of the smallest guys there so she'll probably be getting tutored farther up the food chain...lot's of people wanting to see what really fast strong, 250 pound plus woman can do. I think she's just dabbling at this point.

Certainly going to try to get her over to the SM equipment though... and as a thrower she'd make a great Highland Games athlete, I know I'm going to hit her up for advice on throws pretty quick.

Allen Yeh 04-16-2009 02:39 PM

Damn.

Gant Grimes 04-16-2009 03:04 PM

Ahhh, so many choices. It bears mention that Cheryl Hayworth, the top USA women's 75+er, is probably not coming back. I'd have to think a collegiate thrower that can squat 430 could put up some good numbers in short order.

*Cheryl ran away with USA Nats with 102/130
*120/150 won bronze in Beijing

I'd probably choose having a life and throwing kegs, but it looks like an OLY medal might be within her reach.

**140wr/186wr won gold. She opened after everyone else was done lifting. Damn!

Dave Van Skike 04-16-2009 03:18 PM

there was much mention of the fact that if she put on a single ply suit, the USAPL national record for squat at 628 would be a good target. WR is 671 and change...not out of the question within a couple years.

Brian Lawyer 04-16-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 55407)
however, I'm likely one of the smallest guys there so she'll probably be getting tutored farther up the food chain...lot's of people wanting to see what really fast strong, 250 pound plus woman can do. I think she's just dabbling at this point.

What the heck kind of gym do you go to Dave? Do they feed you steroids as you walk in the door? I have seen some of your stats and PR's and for some reason I wouldn't have thought you would have been one of the smaller guys at your gym?

Brian DeGennaro 04-16-2009 07:25 PM

Your gym seems to be a magnet for the unusually gifted athletes... D1 athletes tend to be ridiculously strong. I know a 180lb sprinter who can [ATG] front squat 220kg for a double and is also a fraction of a second off of Olympic qualifying times for the 100m.

What did she throw in college?

Dave Van Skike 04-16-2009 08:15 PM

it's a straight up powerlifting gym.nearly everyone competes in USAPL, IPF or WABDL, and so pretty rigourously drug tested....so while it's always possible, none of the regulars get to use steroids. It's hidden in a basement underground in Downtown Seattle. no website, no sign on the door. It's perfect. there are no similar facilities on this side of the mountains that i know about, there are some really strong gyms over in eastern washington and I think portland but not here. the coach who runs it was himself coached by doyle kenady. because we're the only place with 1000 pound tires a monolift and three dl platforms we do tend to get a lot of talent through the door. a couple pro SM guys from time to time and lot's of really talented PL'ers.

it's a pretty broad cross section of people, one former state supreme court justice, several lawyers, a DEA agent, a Blackwater employee, several engineers and two tattoo artists.

but in terms of the men, I'm pretty small. I think I'm the only that lifts raw all the time. i'm sort of in the middle, age wise. at 215-220 i'm the second smallest guy by 20 pounds...., honestly if i drank less beer, I'd probably only have you by 5 pounds Brian L.

most of the folks are masters PL athletes..I honestly don't recall but I know we have well over 100 national and world records in PL. there is a small contingent of younger people. we've got 2 guys with a legit chance of pulling over 800 this year. one of them will squat close to 1000 in his next meet. the other is likely to get a pro card in SM. there's several guys in the middle 650-750 pulls, and sporadically competing in PL and SM...

and then there's the groundlings....guys like me (several that are more serious) probably 4-5 of us knocking close to 600 pulls and 500 pound back squats and daydreaming of a 300 pound press overhead.

there is also one woman who does crossfit and one vegetarian but we're working on it.....

George Mounce 04-16-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 55394)
Former D1 thrower.

She's a big girl with perfect proportions (not those kind, I'm talking limb lengths)

First day she squatted 405 for 3, hit depth and didn't struggle. worked up to 430 for a single.

She's never deadlifted....ever, pulled 320 for 3 easily last night once we got her to be patient off the bottom.

Truly awesome to see raw talent like that.

Squats 405, deadlifts 320? Now you know what to work on for sure...