Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What do you dudes tell other dudes? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4211)

Jon Brody 04-20-2009 12:34 PM

What do you dudes tell other dudes?

I started a bonefied training plan ~1 week ago, so I'm hardly a grizzled vet; that said, I can already tell this (metcons, powerlifting, oly, gymnastics, e.g.) is what I want to commit to (both from an enjoyment perspective and also for the results).

Some friends, however, who I love to hang with, follow a supremely boring, typical bodybuilding routine with even more boring, lame hamster-wheel "cardio". I just can't go back to that lol...anyone else find themselves in this conundrum?

I'm hoping that as I become a jacked beast of physicality it'l cause some persuasion, but right now it's like they can't go to the gym on a Monday without doing 6 chest isolation exercises and 20minutes on an elliptical. :eek:

I'm basically in a compromise mode right now -- throwing in a superfluous spin-class here and there, adding and timing in some bicep work, BP, etc.

What have you guys said to other guys in similiar spots? Or do you just let your results do the bulk of the talking? I feel like I'm Plato and talking to people viewing shadows in the cave(!) :p

Joe Hart 04-20-2009 12:47 PM

I work out at home. My boys 5&7 have a good time working out with me. So I can't say I have run into your problem. Maybe when they are teens. I would just go your own way and be a good spotter if they need it. Sooner or later they will get old and their shoulders will hurt and realize that things have to change and they will come to you.

Grissim Connery 04-20-2009 01:04 PM

I generally work out alone. i talk to friends at my school gym some, but i don't really involve them in my workouts. if somebody is curious about something i'm doing, i'll teach them, but i never feel the need to emulate the bodybuilders. i don't really understand why you feel the need to do bicep curls with them. just do the workout the way you wanna do it. what you do may not look impressive for a little while, but eventually you will be able to do a planche on the floor, a handstand on the rings, etc. smart friends will recognize the strength you've obtained. stubborn friends will downplay the stuff you're doing, and they'll remain weak.

this isnt' really a complicated situation. go into the gym, do some joint mobility, work some levers, clean and jerk some weight, time a helen or something, and do a little yoga. unless your friends are doing the same exercises, they probably don't fit into this workout.

some other people have started crossfitting a bit in my school gym. we all talk but because of schedule differences and what not, we never workout together. i train BJJ 5 days a week in 3 hour sessions, so i have to be careful and not do barbara or some other ridiculous metcon too often. i'll show those guys some form stuff sometimes, like how to kip your dips or how to do double unders, but you need to tailor your workout to fit your own needs. join in with their workout if you think that's what your body needs. since you obviously don't think so, then dont' do their workouts. just hang out with them on the weekends or something

Arden Cogar Jr. 04-20-2009 01:07 PM

Jon,
The best advice I can give you is don't give advice unless it's asked. There's nothing worse than coming off as a know-it-all or whatever. If that makes any sense?

In my mind, the proof is in the pudding. If you show great progress, the ones stuck on arm day, chest day, leg day, etc. will notice. Then the questions will come - unsolicited. That's when you can invite them to the beauty of the training you've followed.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I was stuck in power bodybuilding and had gotten myself, for me, rugged to look at in the mirror, but I had no work capacity. It had very little carryover for my sport/hobby. I've since taken up a training hybrid routine that's very similar to CA's WOD (except my met-con involves axes and crosscut saws :o ) and, although i've never been pretty look at, I've gotten much stronger and fitter overall; and my performances in my sport have improved.

Joe - that there is gold. I train at home with daughters when we're together. The eldest (11) is really into it. The younger one (8) has a lazy streak and loses interest pretty quickly - but she's the one with soooo much genetic potential it's scary. In any event, we take what we can, don't we?

All the best,
Arden

Garrett Smith 04-20-2009 01:34 PM

Let the results speak for themselves, while you have fun getting them.

Arien Malec 04-20-2009 03:14 PM

Just wait until you near 40. You won't have this problem. You'll have other problems, just not this one.

Jon Brody 04-20-2009 05:43 PM

Haha, good stuff.....I agree -- bottomline, have fun and let the results speak for themselves and gradually, naturally entice 'em!

Funny you mention doing a full planche on the floor Grissim....I've already taken a heaping of shit for doing my static progressions! :)

Part of the problem is just mis-information....my good buddy has it in his head that he has to do "high reps for definition" and a ridiculous amount of typical machine work to "isolate the muscles" and the usual 30m of low-intensity, boring "cardio to lose fat".

Another component that I'm now convinced of....is just fear of looking weak (initially, really) or foolish and possibly standing out....like, I don't exactly look like a suave model at the moment after I'm drenched in sweat from doing burpees; hands on my knees, chest-not-puffed out right after a metcon; or when doing modest weight oly lifts, and I'm then seen struggling to hold a weird planche progression for a few seconds at a time.....:)

Gant Grimes 04-21-2009 08:37 AM

When I'm with my friends, we're usually talking about real life crap. If they want to know what I am doing, I tell them. If they want to talk about what they're doing, I listen. It's usually a short conversation either way before we talk about kids, football, work, etc.

1 week in? You sound more like Icarus than Plato. Train hard, have fun, and let the game come to you.

Jay Cohen 04-21-2009 09:45 AM

All comments are spot on.

I'm looking for the t shirt that says:

Shut Up and Work.

Suggest you do the same.

Chuck Kechter 04-21-2009 11:19 AM

I'd actually like a shirt that says: "You sound more like Icarus than Plato."

I'd give them away to about half the people I know...