Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Vibram Five fingers (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4254)

Greg Battaglia 04-30-2009 11:56 AM

Vibram Five fingers

Hey, thinking about getting a pair of KSO's. Anybody have experience with these. a few questions:

1. Are they durable and is the sole resistant to cuts and tears?

2. How is the sizing, should I go tight or leave a little extra wiggle room?

3. How long do they normally last if you do a lot of hiking/trail running?

Thanks

Joe Hart 04-30-2009 12:54 PM

I have a pair sprints that I have worn for 2 years, going on 3rd year. They are holding up good in the sole. The seam on the big toe has come unsown. I would say the best way for fitting is to see if you can try some on. They are sized in European sizes. I had to try on a couple of pair to narrow it down.

I am going to buy a new pair this year for the summer and some flows for right up till I can't handle it any more in the winter. I live in MN. I really like them though. I would wear them to work if I could get away with it. I have to wear steel toed boots for work.

I like the KSOs because of the material above the toes. I didn't like getting stuff down in my toes from the top(in sprints). Not a big fan of the color choices.

I have talked to ALOT of random people because of my five fingers.

Garrett Smith 04-30-2009 02:07 PM

1. No cuts or tears yet...I'd assume they will hold up much like a normal hiking boot sole (ie. a Vibram one) would until they get pretty worn down and thus weaker from the lack of material.

2. Try them on first if you can to save some hassle later. I ordered one size, felt it was too short, sent them back, the next pair fit fine. Cost me the extra shipping charge, but I got the right size!

3. No idea. Depends on the mileage, terrain, your BW, etc. It would be the same for any running shoe...

Greg Battaglia 04-30-2009 10:05 PM

Thanks guys, wish I just had a place to try some on. Nowhere in my area sells them. Guess it's gonna be trial and error.

Grissim Connery 04-30-2009 11:34 PM

i've got 2 pairs. one to workout in (KSOs) and one to wear around (classics). i love them, but i still prefer to workout barefoot whenever possible. my school gym got mad at me for doing barefoot a few times.

the big toe seem on my KSO's has also unravelled a bit, but it doesn't really affect the overall shoe at all.

i've heard that if you buy the wrong size online, you can send them back for the right one pretty easily. i go to school in cleveland, oh, but i'm from nashville, tn. there's no vendor here in cleveland, so i just waited until i went back to nashville and got a vendor. next time you're going on vacation or a trip or something, check if you can hit up a vendor on the way. i think it's worth trying them on the get the sizing right. it's common to need a different size for each variety of five fingers.

the only real annoying thing about the shoes is when people ask you about them. if you wear them all day, you will get a minimum of 3 people asking you about them if you leave your house. i find that my explanation of the shoes is directly proportional to my mood. when i'm peppy, i'll talk at length about how they've helped me. when i'm not to talky, i'll be such a dick when i answer people's questions. everybody will try to guess what the shoes are for.

ex)

"Hey those shoes are for climbing, right?"

"No"

"What are they then?"

"Shoes"

"what are the for?"

"Walking around. taking steps. shoe-like tasks. etc."

Garrett Smith 05-01-2009 06:02 AM

Greg,
Vibram is great about returns and exchanges...don't let that worry you.

Greg Battaglia 05-02-2009 12:27 AM

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a go! I'm going to measure my foot and then just order them. If they don't fit, send em' back and try again, lol.

Patrick Donnelly 05-02-2009 04:13 AM

I think I should at least throw out there that going completely barefoot is another valid option. I've been doing that near 24/7 for about eight weeks now and it's pretty good.

Greg Battaglia 05-05-2009 12:19 PM

The only reason I really haven't gone 100% barefooted is because I fear cutting my feet on glass and other trash and because I can wear five fingers into places that would not allow bare feet. Wish that wasn't the case, cause I would definitely go barefooted.

Mike ODonnell 05-05-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia (Post 56530)
The only reason I really haven't gone 100% barefooted is because I fear cutting my feet on glass and other trash and because I can wear five fingers into places that would not allow bare feet. Wish that wasn't the case, cause I would definitely go barefooted.

Good idea....Grok didn't have to jump over broken beer bottles.....