Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Weighted dips (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4320)

Brandon Oto 05-22-2009 02:25 PM

Weighted dips

Any thoughts on weighted dips? Like 'em, hate 'em, found them useful, hurts your shoulder? Who trains them regularly?

Gant Grimes 05-22-2009 02:42 PM

Like em, especially on the rings. I used to train them a good bit. I'll work them back in this summer.

Kevin Perry 05-22-2009 03:32 PM

weighted ring dips rock

Allen Yeh 05-22-2009 04:04 PM

I liked weighted dips and ring dips, the ring dips a little bit better although they are a bit more challenging, this is because sometimes depending on the dip apparatus it just makes it uncomforatble. With the rings it's a lot more adjustable for your body.

Garrett Smith 05-22-2009 04:13 PM

I'm personally working on harder dip variations from Sommer's book, before I bother going to weighted dips.

George Mounce 05-22-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 57692)
I'm personally working on harder dip variations from Sommer's book, before I bother going to weighted dips.

Yup you can do all with leverage just as much as stacking on more weight.

Brandon Oto 05-22-2009 04:33 PM

Been doing these regularly lately (not on rings) and their ability to improve has been remarkable. Much easier progress than any other upper-body press and significantly easier on all levels than weighted pullups. Just generally a really simple to implement chest/tris/back exercise. Tossed on +70lb for 3x5 last time and been having no trouble adding 5lb every workout. Grab a DB in your legs or feet and push. I'm a fan.

Steven Low 05-22-2009 05:37 PM

Obviously, I like them. Favorite pressing exercise actually... I prefer them over HSPUs and such

I wish I could grab a DB between my legs.. that would be much easier, but they don't make DBs heavy enough (well, they do but not common) and my legs couldn't handle it :(

Both rings and bars are fine. Actually though at higher weights, the rings become like bars. I don't know if any of you have done a bodyweight ring dip, but it only requires a small bit of stabilization compared to just holding your bodyweight up. Movement of the rings outward away from the body requires increasing the ring height relative to the ground which gravity doesn't like. :p

Patrick Donnelly 05-22-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 57703)
Both rings and bars are fine. Actually though at higher weights, the rings become like bars. I don't know if any of you have done a bodyweight ring dip, but it only requires a small bit of stabilization compared to just holding your bodyweight up. Movement of the rings outward away from the body requires increasing the ring height relative to the ground which gravity doesn't like. :p

Hah, that's interesting. I can only dream of experiencing that one day.

Brandon Oto 05-23-2009 01:53 AM

One wonders what the pros/cons of using bars vs. rings might be, aside from ergonomics for those with shoulder troubles.