Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How would you? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4374)

Frank Needham 06-03-2009 06:27 PM

How would you?

I know someone that is totally raw, never done any exercise, never participated in sports.....nada. This person is a 30 year old female whose genetics should easily allow her to become fit and able fairly easily. Problem is, there is very little motivation to do so....and, the diet could use help too.

I would like to be of real help but I don't want to force the issue and kill any chance of influencing the outcome. How would you approach this situation if you wanted to get this person on the right track and interested in being fit? What kind of program would you offer? How would you make it so appealing that doing it couldn't be resisted? A group setting, individualized approach?

Júlíus G. Magnússon 06-03-2009 06:44 PM

Why do you want her to get fit?

Joe Hart 06-03-2009 07:14 PM

I wouldn't look at it as "getting fit" more as being involved in something that she might like. Find something that she would like that would require some movement strenuous or otherwise and let it segue into fitness later. Say adventure racing but start out with hiking or orienteering. Just a thought

Gavin Harrison 06-03-2009 09:04 PM

Forcing your will on other people wont work. Best bet is to find out if there's any sport or activity she's interested in, and see if she wants help getting there, I guess.

Alex Bond 06-04-2009 12:48 AM

As others have said, make it fun.

Frank Needham 06-04-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Júlíus G. Magnússon (Post 58378)
Why do you want her to get fit?

that seems a very odd question on a fitness forum?

Frank Needham 06-04-2009 12:16 PM

hmmm, making the journey of getting fit could be viewed as having fun. I know that I'm having fun doing it, otherwise I'd just bury my beak in a bag of twinkies:D .

I also made note that forcing things was not my objective but rather to "be of help".

Daniel Mays 06-06-2009 12:34 PM

Dancing. I believe every lady in the world except for my mother absolutely loves to dance. Tell her that dancing will get her abs in better shape and that doing squats will allow her to "get low" and be able to have better, quicker dance moves and allow her to dance longer.

I think this should be the end all be all of "I want so and so girl/girlfriend/spouse to start working out" threads. Learn how to dance, or find someone to dance with her and break it down at your house or the clubs 2-3 nights a week for at least 30 minutes. If you go to the clubs moderate alcohol consumption so you don't mitigate gains (I know it takes some cajones to dance sober but it's not impossible...).

Danny

Frank Needham 06-06-2009 06:17 PM

That's an interesting idea. She probably would like that but those days are a thing of the past for me. I'll introduce that as one of the activity ideas with her and we'll see where it goes.

Steven Low 06-06-2009 06:37 PM

lol, don't be a pussy. Dance! and then film it and put it on youtube