Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Where from here? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4415)

Troy Archie 06-14-2009 11:17 AM

Where from here?

My goals for this year is nothing but strength. I've wanted to put in a solid year of just old fashioned lifting and eating. I've been doing SS for the last 7 months plus and I it's time for a change but I'm not sure if it truly is.

Started Nov/08
BW 75kg
BS 100kg x5x3
SP 45kg x5x3
BP 65 x5x3
Deadlift 135 x5

Now
BW 82.5kg
BS 115 x5x3 (best 117.5 x5x3)
SP 50 x5x3 (best 51.5 x5x3)
BP - (best 72.5 x5x3)
Deadlift: 147.5 x5

Age 27
5'-11"

It's been an up and down 7 months and I've definitely put some strength and weight on but not as much as I'd hoped. Right now is a down moment. I'm finding with SS right now that's it's tough as hell to bring the same intensity for 5x3 everyday. I guess I'm getting bored too. If I have one bad day where I don't sleep 100%, eat 100% and lift 100%, I stall and even regress. I feel like if I don't gain weight, I can't advance even the slightest. Plus I'm feeling fat and shitty.

Even the "Now" lifts aren't 100% accurate. I've gone heavier on the back squats and presses but again, I go away for the weekend, miss a day, don't stuff myself stupid one day and I slip back to a lighter weight. This has been going on in some fashion for the last 7 months. I go up and then slip down again. To top it off I currently can't bench press because of a shoulder impingement. Shoulder presses are fine though.

So basically what I'm asking is;
Do I suck it up and keep at SS, eat more food to facilitate any bit of gains?
Or do I switch things up? Have I sucked up all the gains I'm going to make on SS regardless of the weights I'm lifting and my body weight? It's been nearly 8 months...

Arien Malec 06-14-2009 12:53 PM

The fact that you've been going at SS for 7 months and you can't maintain progression consistentlly indicates that you are ready for weekly progression. Something like the texas method or Starr approach.

As for BW, you aren't exactly heavy at 82.5 at 5'11" so you do have some room to move there.

Do you have sport goals beyond being strong?

Dave Van Skike 06-14-2009 01:03 PM

you have a slew of options but you sound stale. ideas.

fix your shoulder. full stop. this is goal 1. work on it everyday.

you're ready for a weekly progression to be sure.

do something radically different for a week while you think this up.

you need overarching goal and a plan, but make both short term and achievable.

if you don't have either, do something like crossfit until you do.

get a training partner that's stronger and smarter. you provide the drive, the comedic relief and if you're a good partner, donuts and coffee for Saturday mornings. (This has been the biggest boon to me. I love being one of the smallest and weakest guys in the group)

when I feel fat it's because I am. change that or stop worrying.

find a new gym, take a road trip to Wichita Falls. take a lesson, go to an Oly clinic, a Highland Games, a SM contest.... a whatever.

PS. I'm in Seattle, so not far from you. if you're in the neighborhood send me a PM. you could come play with tires and kegs for an afternoon. that will get your head right.

Troy Archie 06-14-2009 05:23 PM

Thanks Dave and Arien.
No sport goals just a former CFer who got sick of being 150lbs.

I've been avoiding the whole shoulder thing for too long. My question is, do I need to go to a physiotherapist?

Gavin Harrison 06-14-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Archie (Post 58969)
My goals for this year is nothing but strength.
[1] Do I suck it up and keep at SS, eat more food to facilitate any bit of gains? Or do I switch things up?
[2] Have I sucked up all the gains I'm going to make on SS regardless of the weights I'm lifting and my body weight? It's been nearly 8 months...

1. Switch things up.
2. Probably. It was a good long run, I'd say.

I'll be a bit more specific with what I think are your options, since your first sentence is "this year is nothing but strength", and I'll make it easy.

Personal Favorite choice: Wendler's 5/3/1. Do one major lift a day, rotating intensity, then whatever assistance work or conditioning fits your goals. This is probably the most flexible and comprehensive program for strength I know of...

If you just want to be kinda lazy, but get stronger weekly, but very powerlifting specific: Pavel's 80/20 Powerlifting routine.

If you don't mind spending a lot of time in the gym three times a week, Texas Method or Bill Starr's 5x5 are good.

That's about it, I really like the 5/3/1 method, very flexible and fun, set PRs in lots of rep ranges, cycling intensity, and the important part of the workouts are planned out specifically in detail for you, and the unimportant parts are left up to you to do what you want to. Buy the book from elitefts if you want to try it out :)

Troy Archie 06-16-2009 06:56 PM

I read through Wendler's 5-3-1 yesterday. It's very simple, basic and straight forward. I like it. I'm a bit unsure if it would be right for me and my level of training right now (comments) but I figured why not give it a go? It looks like fun and something completely different from what I've been doing. I'm hesitant to go the Texas Method or Starr as I see it just more of the same of what I've been doing the last 7 months plus the workouts look like marathons and I'm sick of going to the gym for just about 2 hours per session.

Next up, my shoulder...

Dave Van Skike 06-16-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Archie (Post 59080)
I read through Wendler's 5-3-1 yesterday. It's very simple, basic and straight forward. I like it. I'm a bit unsure if it would be right for me and my level of training right now (comments) but I figured why not give it a go? It looks like fun and something completely different from what I've been doing. I'm hesitant to go the Texas Method or Starr as I see it just more of the same of what I've been doing the last 7 months plus the workouts look like marathons and I'm sick of going to the gym for just about 2 hours per session.

Next up, my shoulder...

troy. i won't lie, I had great luck with the texas version of 5x5...that said, I think you can't go wrong with Wendler's stuff and you will have fun. rep PR's are very very rewarding.

Daniel Schenck 06-17-2009 01:39 AM

I did the Texas Method after finishing my Starting Strength progression. I made progress, but like Troy found the sessions way too long. I then tried 5/3/1 for a few cycles, but the volume on the main lift was too low for me (you do just one set at the target weight) and recovery uneven (the rep max out was the culprit in that, I think). I actually lost some strength doing 5/3/1...

So, what I am doing now is a simple hybrid - one main lift a day, 4 days a week like 5/3/1, but I do it for 5x5. And then I do one accessory lift a day.

The work out takes me about an hour, and focusing on the one lift once a week helps me with both intensity and recovery. When I stall out on the weekly 5x5 progression, I will probably alternate 5x5 with 3x5 weekly.

Given your goals, you might want to consider something similar.

Derek Simonds 06-17-2009 06:03 AM

First thing first get the shoulder fixed. Diesel Crew has a phenomenal shoulder pre-hab on YouTube. Check it out. Go to the doctor see what he has to say. Don't mess around with it, you are 27 and have many great years to lift ahead of you if you take care of yourself now.

I did SS for a many months and have moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1. I agree with Daniel the hardest part for me is the AMRAP on the last set. I don't feel like I am getting the most out of that but I feel better than I did when I was doing SS and have a lot more fun with the conditioning I have programmed.

Peter Andersen 06-17-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Schenck (Post 59088)
So, what I am doing now is a simple hybrid - one main lift a day, 4 days a week like 5/3/1, but I do it for 5x5. And then I do one accessory lift a day.

Can I ask what you're doing in the way of accessory work for each of the main lifts?