Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Squat cicle for Olympic Weightlifting?? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4476)

Ivan Perez 07-09-2009 12:19 AM

Squat cicle for Olympic Weightlifting??

Hi guys

I talked yerterday with my coach about summer workout and I will repeat a technical cycle at last two weeks of July and August... many set and reps with little weight for diferent technical exercices (I will use GŁe again :mad: ), also I 'm not pleased with my squat, form is correct but I don't lift enough.

So my question, What strenght cycle can I do to improve my squat, 5x5, Smolov Jr?? or Is better forget this idea??

Regards

Ivan
P.S: I will use Front Squat

Justin Fricke 07-09-2009 06:34 PM

Personally, I like Russian Peak Cycles---i did a 10 week version and a six week version. For me the ten week was better and allowed me to recover more fully before the next "heavy" day. my squat went from 350 to 405 in 10 weeks vs 335-350 in six weeks. and you could do it with fron squats just as easy also Mikes Gym has som egood squat programs listed on his page as well.

just my 2cents for what it is worth.

right now i am doing 5/3/1 and i am loving it.

Joe Hart 07-09-2009 07:06 PM

I am partial to the Hatch squat program. It will wear you out though and don't plan on doing very much on the squat day. To quote Greg "It will take the starch out of your britches", but you will make some good progress.

Dave Paton 07-10-2009 04:25 PM

[

Next week will be week 11 doing the Hatch cycle. it's really not that bad and is pretty do-able. Monday is the squat max day for me. I am also looking for another squat cycle (my glaring weakness).

Does anyone have a link to the Russian Peak cycle?

Gavin Harrison 07-10-2009 09:25 PM

Dave,

You could always look up the smolov squat cycle if you're up for a challenge and close to 100 lbs on your squat in a couple months...

Rick Deckart 07-11-2009 03:55 AM

I have no idea what your max in the front squat is, but if it is close to or well over 130 kg the following schedule, a modified smolov basecycle, works really well:

Code:

Monday    Wednesday  Friday    Saturday
Week 1: 70.0%x9x3  75.0%x7x4  80.0%x5x5  85.0%x3x6
Week 2: 75.0%x9x3  80.0%x7x4  85.0%x5x5  90.0%x3x6
Week 3: 77.5%x9x3  82.5%x7x4  87.5%x5x5  92.5%x3x6
Week 4: rest      rest      rest      test max

80.0%x5x5 = 80.0% x 5 reps x 5 sets

Note that if your max were 200 kg you would use the original smolov basecycle poundages (10kg is 0.05*200 kg, 5 kg is 0.025*200 kg).

Basically it is ~25% reduction of the volume and an adjustment of the progressions in week 2 and 3 which is more suited for weaker squatters.

I have done a full smolov cycle and compared to the original base cycle i made similar gains doing it like outlined above, but it was way way more comfortable.

P.S.: if somebody gets 100 pounds out of a full-smolov cycle I more or less guarantee that he started it with a max over 180 kg...

Dave Paton 07-11-2009 02:14 PM

Peter,

I will try that modified cycle when I finish the Hatch. Thanks!

Do you have an opinion of doing the cycle for back squats or front squats in regards to weightlifting? My goal would be increasing my actual lifts, not competing in a squat contest. thanks.

Rick Deckart 07-12-2009 05:21 AM

When I modified the Smolov basecycle I had front squats in mind, however it should work equally well with back squats and I intend to use it for overhead squats as well.

My two cents: if improvement of the olympic lifts is the goal I would first assess if it is really lack of strength which is holding you back or lack of technique / flexibility etc pp. If it is the latter you should probably focus more on the olympic lifts, get good coaching...

Personally I used this as I thought that my terrible front squat form was hindering squat cleans. And it definitely improved the front squat as well as cleans and jerks. However I would not use this 4-week cycle more often than three or four times per year.

Dave Paton 07-12-2009 09:57 AM

Peter,

Thanks. It is more a strength deficit with me. And more specifically, leg strength. I can jerk anything I clean. I have good coaching in regards to technique too. i will definitely try this out. thanks.

Ivan Perez 07-13-2009 12:32 AM

Thanks for the answers :)

I'll do Peter's Smolov version at August and in other time I'll use Hack or Burgener programs.

Thanks again