Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sprint Speed workout (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4484)

Khalid Khalil 07-12-2009 11:15 AM

Sprint Speed workout

So, I don't have a trainer or a club to train with. I'm using just myself and setting up my workout is hard enough-So if you guys can tell me if this is a decent workout set up.

My goal is to get quicker on my starts for the 100m and 200m. My top end speed is equal to many kids who are quicker then me (because my start is really bad)

It would be:

Monday: Sprinting
Tuesday: Upper body weight room, high weights-low reps
Weds - Sprinting
Thurs - Legs weight room, high weights-low reps
Friday- Sprinting?

So I know what to do in the weight room - weight wise, but is it fine to do full body each day? high weights low reps?, and also what kinda workouts would I have for Monday,Wednesday and Friday? I'm so use to being in the season and doing conditioning training. Which isn't what I need now because everyday I ride 8 miles on my road bike regardless because of class and stuff. Which is why I dropped Friday as my running distance day.

So to sum it up, instead of Monday workouts being stuff like
100m
200m
300m
400m
300m
200m
100m

What can I do to increase speed and not condition?

Brandon Oto 07-12-2009 11:19 AM

Short distance, full rest, work on technique. If you're working the start I'd keep 'em very short; maybe 100m and under.

Oly in the gym wouldn't be a bad idea.

Khalid Khalil 07-12-2009 11:53 AM

If I increase my workouts during weeks passing by, do I increase the distance or increase the amount of times I do each sprint?

also Oly in the gym? What exactly do you mean?

Chris H Laing 07-12-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khalid Khalil (Post 60006)
also Oly in the gym? What exactly do you mean?

The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?

The rest of your program looks pretty good, but I would change wednesday to a rest day while also keeping saturday and sunday rest days.

And as for sprint distances, I personally like really short sprints. My favorite sprint sessions are either 8x50m or 10x40m. For your goals I would rest completely between sprints.

Bob Overstreet 07-12-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 60011)
The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?.

Oh Wise One! Not everyone was born knowing everything like you. :rolleyes:

People learn things at all ages, and join a forum like this to see what else is out there. Perhaps consider that before dissing the next person that asks a legit question.

Brandon Oto 07-12-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khalid Khalil (Post 60006)
If I increase my workouts during weeks passing by, do I increase the distance or increase the amount of times I do each sprint?

In you case, mostly the latter.

Chris H Laing 07-13-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 60011)
The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?

Khalid, I apologize if this offended you. It was not my intention. I do think it would be a good idea for you to explore the site some, however. Check out the exercise section and the videos. You'll learn a lot of information that you can use to help improve your sprinting.

Scott Kustes 07-14-2009 10:30 AM

Olys are unlikely to help with the start of your sprints. Even the speed of an Olympic lift can't come close to the speed of contraction at the sound of the gun or on each stride. Heavy deadlifts will increase your strength and your sprinting will help you convert that extra strength to power. I find squats destroy my ability to sprint because they make me so sore.

Very short distances. Very long rests. Not even approaching 100m sprints. Stick to 20-40m out of blocks. I rarely do more than 6-8 reps, about 5 minutes between. No more than 10 reps in a session. This is very taxing CNS work. FYI...you're training acceleration, not speed (just a note on your title). No sprint work on back-to-back days.

If you are using blocks, here's something that helped me get out of the blocks quicker, to the tune of 0.2 second 100m improvement in the course of 2 weeks. Push back into the blocks with BOTH feet instead of just the front one. Get a quick stretch reflex on your rear leg (you'll load the calf, Achille's, and hamstring (slightly)) and then quickly turn it back over. Doing this, I feel like I'm coming out of the blocks with a rocket up my ass.

Usain Bolt demonstrating

What times are you running in the 100 and 200?

Khalid Khalil 07-14-2009 12:02 PM

I'm 16 now, I've been running since 8th grade. But I was also a linemen at the time, I really started to become a sprinter sophmore year, and my PR in the 100m was a 12.0 and 200m was a 24.9 by the beginning of the summer (with mono) and I got a bad ankle injury that would carry over in the winter until I could run again. This last year was my junior year and I finished the year off with a 12.2 (beginning of the season, after that I didnt run the 100m as much) and a 24.5 200m

It's never been my top speed as a problem, I've seen videos of me taking off and being dead last in a 100m until the 60m mark, where my top end speed would quickly overrun (and if there was a meter or two I would've won) the other sprinters coming in at 11.5-11.7.

My starts have gotten alright, but it seems I'm not explosive enough. I stopped lifting weights on my legs freshmen year after knee injuries. So I'm just getting back into weights for my legs, squating around 350 8 times, 3 reps.

I'm also asking if its wise to do full body high weights low rep workouts
Tuesday and Thursday?

And also I heard from a source its best to sprint for a minimum of 8 seconds.
And I'm just sorta confused as to what I should be doing say for an example

I keep upping my workouts each week in order to benefit from it.

Monday week 1: would be something like 50mx10
as an example

Would then my Monday week 2 be:
50mx15

or would it be:

60mx10

Which increases? And also what workouts would fit Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Monday more speed, weds more acceleration Friday ???

or all the same similar routine?

Also I don't know if I'd benefit from Wednesdays off, last summer I was training 5-6 days a week conditioning. But of course I'll take advice from people with more experience.

PS. I know what Olympic lifts are, he just said "Oly in the gym helps"
Never really called Olympic lifts oly, lol.

I thought he said Ollie when I read it, and I skateboard too-so I was a bit confused.

Brandon Oto 07-14-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Kustes (Post 60091)
Olys are unlikely to help with the start of your sprints. Even the speed of an Olympic lift can't come close to the speed of contraction at the sound of the gun or on each stride.

I mentioned it as a way to develop power from a dead stop. My understanding is that after that in the sprint, you're mainly banking on reflex speed (plyo or bounding type of stuff) -- but out of the blocks it seems like it would be relevant.

Obviously you'd also need to work on the skill of reacting to the gun and the acceleration technique and so on, but that's just stuff to practice.

No?