Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hang Power Clean vs. Clean (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503)

matt gibson 07-16-2009 05:39 AM

Hang Power Clean vs. Clean
 
Is it true that from the hang and catching it in the power position requires a more explosive opening of the hip vs. taking it from the floor and catching it in a squat?

Brian DeGennaro 07-16-2009 08:27 AM

It requires less weight too.

Steven Low 07-16-2009 10:50 AM

HPC are less technical and thus for athletes with little time to develop Oly technique (or who have been taught poor technique from high school or whatever).... they can derive the most benefit from an explosive lift with the least amount of time.

The more weight you can use the more powerful... and that's definitely the full lifts.

Chris H Laing 07-20-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 60232)
The more weight you can use the more powerful... and that's definitely the full lifts.

Wouldn't that make the C+J more powerful than the snatch? Same range of motion, but a lot more weight in the C+J than the snatch.

Steven Low 07-20-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris H Laing (Post 60386)
Wouldn't that make the C+J more powerful than the snatch? Same range of motion, but a lot more weight in the C+J than the snatch.

Power = work/time. (I just stated the work component of power above)

Snatch is a faster lift (to overhead) which is why it requires more power to do it at the expense of a bit of work though (and more technique as well).

If you're talking about racked clean vs. snatch they may be more similar because they take more or less probably a similar amount of time... the only difference is weight and distance of the bar traveled.

Gabe Rinaldi 07-20-2009 04:04 PM

John Garhammer is a researcher who has studied power output in weightlifting for many years. Check out some of these papers for some actual scientific data:

http://www.csulb.edu/~atlastwl/JGselectedPubs.html

Steven Low 07-20-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Rinaldi (Post 60406)
John Garhammer is a researcher who has studied power output in weightlifting for many years. Check out some of these papers for some actual scientific data:

http://www.csulb.edu/~atlastwl/JGselectedPubs.html

Nice stuff. Definitely bookmarking that.

Looks like clean and snatch are very similar from the analysis in this paper:
http://www.csulb.edu/~atlastwl/PowPr...L_MSSE1980.pdf

Clean a bit ahead of snatch at lower weight class, snatch higher than clean at heavier weight classes. For all intents and purposes fairly equivalent though as the same muscles are used to get the weight up in both.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.