Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   strength after or before sprints (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4505)

Chris H Laing 07-17-2009 12:25 PM

strength after or before sprints

Two scenarios:

1. Would it be better to do sprints before or after heavy squats or cleans or deadlifts?

2. Same question but with upper body gymnastic type strength moves (front lever, hspu, pullups, dips, etc.)

Edit: Im referring to sprints for power development not for metcon

Steven Low 07-17-2009 12:32 PM

It's better to separate them into two sessions preferably >4-6 hours apart.

With 1 they will affect the quality of each other. 2 will do so less than 1, but may still be a hindrance at getting full intensity to stimulate adaptations.

Chris H Laing 07-17-2009 01:45 PM

Third scenario:

Would it better to do sprints before a metcon, with the lifts on separate days?

Steven Low 07-17-2009 04:12 PM

It's better to avoid metcons completely...

Mike ODonnell 07-17-2009 07:08 PM

Strength always comes first.....as the goal is ongoing progression...and hard to do that by fatiguing the muscles ahead of time....otherwise what's the use?

Brandon Oto 07-17-2009 08:41 PM

In a hypothetical mega-session where you had to do it all, I'd make it sprint, big progressive strength (squats etc.), other strength (isometrics), metcon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 60295)
It's better to avoid metcons completely...

Wow Steve :cool:

Matthias Becker 07-18-2009 12:36 AM

I'd start with the sprints if I had to do both in the same session.

Steven Low 07-18-2009 01:08 AM

Structure according to power output.

Most power output like sprinting, vertical leaping, broad jumps, etc. come first. Heavy lifting/isometrics/eccentrics second. Metabolic third.

But yeah, I still think you should eliminate metcon if you're trying to get strong and fast. It's trying to do too much at once which is detrimental.

Scott Kustes 07-18-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 60303)
Strength always comes first.....as the goal is ongoing progression...and hard to do that by fatiguing the muscles ahead of time....otherwise what's the use?

Not if you're sprinting to improve your speed it doesn't.

Sprint before stepping foot in the gym. Preferably seperate as Steven said, but otherwise, sprint, then strength.

Mike ODonnell 07-18-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Kustes (Post 60329)
Not if you're sprinting to improve your speed it doesn't.

Sprint before stepping foot in the gym. Preferably seperate as Steven said, but otherwise, sprint, then strength.

If increased sprinting is the MAIN goal....then yes, it comes first. I was confused by the initial question thinking sprinting was not the primary goal in this case.

Of course it's best split up like everyone else has said like AM/PM sessions.