Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Combat Sports (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Unique Marv Marinovich training (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4525)

Andrew Wilson 07-24-2009 07:41 PM

Unique Marv Marinovich training

Has anyone been following this? I saw BJ Penn's video blog when he first introduced Marv, began reading up on his gyms, stopped gaining interest when one of his trainers said the 1RM bench press was an aerobic exercise & olympic weightlifting was slow. Put unique training non the less.

The super cat enhances explosiveness wfs

Accelerator leg work for eccentric/concentric exercises. wfs

I was listening to GSP's trainer Jon Chaimberg in another podcast say something like this style is good for field sports where balance is needed for large athletes but unnecessary for someone like BJ who already has outstanding balance & needs to focus more on conditioning. My thoughts are NM system responses of hundreds of repeated complicated motions of half squats are good, but why not do one solid heavy snatch in a legit squat? Or at least a weighted pistol.

Any interesting thoughts or commentary?

Donald Lee 07-24-2009 08:43 PM

Since the ring or cage isn't moving, I don't see any reason for doing that on a swiss ball.

Brian DeGennaro 07-25-2009 05:49 AM

These S&C coaches or whatever you would call them are just making up stupid crap to make it seem as if they can improve athletic ability. They think that if they can call BS on legitimate exercises (squats, deads, Olympic lifts), then make something "new" and "innovative" up, slap on the name of one already really good athlete to the "exercise" it is legitimate and others will do it. Chances are because people think it is working there will be a placebo effect and some improvement will occur, as everyone has some untapped potential.

That is my 2 cents.

Peter Dell'Orto 07-25-2009 07:25 AM

I watched those two videos and thought - why not just do jumps instead?

Steven Low 07-25-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro (Post 60573)
These S&C coaches or whatever you would call them are just making up stupid crap to make it seem as if they can improve athletic ability. They think that if they can call BS on legitimate exercises (squats, deads, Olympic lifts), then make something "new" and "innovative" up, slap on the name of one already really good athlete to the "exercise" it is legitimate and others will do it. Chances are because people think it is working there will be a placebo effect and some improvement will occur, as everyone has some untapped potential.

That is my 2 cents.

You win.

Andrew Wilson 07-25-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro (Post 60573)

That is my 2 cents.

hahahahaha

Brian DeGennaro 07-25-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 60579)
You win.

What's my prize?

Garrett Smith 07-25-2009 03:19 PM

I will hold my breath waiting for the massive surge of champion athletes produced through this model. (sucks in large breath...)

Derek Weaver 07-25-2009 03:34 PM

I'm trying to think of a world where those would be good positions to put an athlete in....

Andrew Wilson 07-25-2009 11:28 PM

They have him do this with weights
"BJ doing some abs"