Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Long jump tips (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4635)

Rafe Kelley 09-02-2009 02:48 PM

Long jump tips

This is big running gap jump I did over the weekend, watching the video I feel there are quite a few movement flaws I am curious if anyone has any tips for me on improving technique thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzhd1EuHSCE ws/FS

I apologize for the footage quality

Steven Low 09-02-2009 06:07 PM

From my novice perspective:

1. Didn't get full hip extension in the jump.

2. Run should be faster, but the last step a bit markedly shorter focusing on converting the speed into some vertical leaping.

Scott Kustes 09-03-2009 05:35 AM

Stop running heel/toe.

Rafe Kelley 09-03-2009 03:33 PM

This is weird jump to me. It is 14 feet the farthest true gap I have done. I did this jump a year ago and made it. I tried in march and bounced of bruising my heel badly. Working on long jumps into a pit I can consistently get 14 feet out of three steps and about 17 with full run up. So this is pretty far for me. I am surprised I made it with such a terrible run up.

To my eyes, I am hugely overstriding, my arms are kind of wild and crossing the midline and my shoulders are rolled forwards and tense.

The last two steps seem ok to me long step shorter step I get descent height, form in the air is ok. But the run up is really terrible I am curious if anyone has any suggestion on drills to improve the run up. Any drills on take offs would be appreciated to.

Scott Kustes 09-03-2009 03:37 PM

The run-up is a sprint. Run up like you sprint, though not at top speed, but at the top speed that you can control into your penultimate step (the longer setup step before your final short step).

Rafe Kelley 09-03-2009 03:41 PM

I understand that is what I should be doing the problem is trying get type of movement to come out of my body under the stress of trying to make somewhat dangerous near maximal jump. When doing jumps on flat ground under less tension I am able to have more concious controll and display better form. I am curious about drills long jumpers use to get rid of movement errors like that to essentially force the brain to get used to the more efficient motor pattern.

Timothy Holmes 09-04-2009 07:33 AM

Your overstriding is very much due to heel/toe running, IMO. 'Running up tall' is great cue for me to ensure good run mechanics. When you're overstriding your hips tend to be way lower, which is acceptable (even desirable, but it's not done in the same way) for the takeoff but not the run up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley (Post 62271)
When doing jumps on flat ground under less tension I am able to have more concious controll and display better form.

If you think you do, practice that under less risky conditions until it is engrained. I guess this is a parkour training element, so I can't really comment.

Quote:

I am curious about drills long jumpers use to get rid of movement errors like that to essentially force the brain to get used to the more efficient motor pattern.
I believe that is also termed practice. :P

prequisites:
- forefoot running (aka 'running up tall')
- long jump pit

1. run up
2. takeoff
3. landing

1: from a 2-6 step approach, run hard but upright, aim to hit the board (not so important for the traceur), without losing speed or overstriding (very important).
2: standing long jump. full extension and arm drive.
1,2: from a 2-6 step approach, running hard but upright, jump as far as you can (as much height as you can), land in a lunge (driving knee forward, takeoff leg back)
1,2,3: same as above, after some hang time bring the takeoff knee forward to meet the driving knee, as both legs straighten and straight arms come down and forward.

as your takeoff improves, increase the approach length and speed.

Scott Kustes 09-04-2009 07:37 AM

What he said. Practice small jumps, then longer jumps, then longer jumps, until you get to your maximal jump with proper form.