Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Progression to full squat snatch and squat clean (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468)

Bill Ripley 02-02-2007 05:28 AM

Progression to full squat snatch and squat clean

Learning to do a proper squat snatch and proper squat clean takes time (for me anyway). I got my technique in the squat snatch pretty good before wandering off to split style land, but my squat clean left a lot to be desired even at that time. Now it seems I am starting over with both. I tend to receive the bar in a partial squat position and then squat the rest of the way down before standing back up. Should I keep the weight light until I can get back to receiving in a full squat position or should I move up in weight and let the weight help drive me down?

Bobby Spencer 02-02-2007 06:13 AM

When I did squat cleans in college, the heavier the weight, the lower the position in which I received the weight. Thing is, though, we were not supposed to be performing squat cleans per se. We (being the UVA football team) were allowed to receive the weight in the squat position while maxing on power cleans. Me and some of the other guys figured that it would increase our numbers to receive the bar in the low position and front squat it up. (It also cut down on how far the bar had to travel.)

I found that it was difficult to get in that same low position and be stable on cleans without using a very heavy weight to "push" me down in that position. This was probably due to tight hip flexors and lower back. In addition, I had to really work on my form (sometimes video it) to work out any hitches to make sure the movement was as quick and smooth as possible.

Do not focus so much on getting in that low position that you sacrifice the explosiveness and power generation of your jump shrug and other parts of the clean. When this happened to me I was never able to get under the bar and rack it on my shoulders. I've even seen some people try to almost "jump" underneath the bar. I found it beneficial to work on the "segments" of the clean and then put it all together after a couple of weeks. The jump shrug, high pulls, explosive, heavy, full front squats, and then the full clean. We would actually spend a few weeks doing just these moves before doing the actual clean itself.

We also put above max weight at various heights on the power rack, wedge ourselves underneath and then isometrically push against the weight to get used to the feel of heavy weight in different positions of the the clean. This helped flexibility, too.

BTW, my strength coach was John Gamble who was competitive powerlifter in the 80's

Greg Everett 02-05-2007 09:15 AM

Catching a barbell any lower than you have to is a contrived movement--like Bobby says, to do so, you have to ease up on the pull, etc. I don't think this is always a problem, but in your case I would hesitate to recommend it.

Work on your snatching as you are, add in heavy snatch balances and snatch push press + overhead squat to get used to being down there with tons o' weight overhead, and get down there when you need to snatching.

You may have been implying this when you said 'drive', but make sure you're actively pulling yourself under the bar. The heavier the weight is, the more inertia, so the more you'll be able to use it as an anchor to 'muscle snatch' yourself under it.

All that said, it's entirely possible to perform a complete snatch with a very light weight--just takes discipline with the pulling power and very precise technique.

John Alston 02-07-2007 12:41 PM

I have been finding the squatsnatch to be a tricky devil myself.
I think that good mastery of the OHS is key. If you can't OHS the weight securely, you can't sqsn it. Thus my heaviest snatch is about a halfsqsn because my pull power outguns my ability to sit and hold. So it's lots of OHS for form and strength for me in my plan now.
Hope this helps your quest for sqsnatch.

Bill Ripley 02-08-2007 04:33 AM

Thanks, guys.