Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wrist tendonitis (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4682)

Jason Lopez-Ota 09-19-2009 02:03 PM

Wrist tendonitis
 
I have wrist tendonitis from boxing, thai boxing, etc. Too much too fast, not enough rest.

Does anyone know anything I can do to speed up the healing? I can do pushups without much difficulty, kipping pullups are out of the question right now.

Help please, I want to do a physical job, train in mma, and even make typing for college not something I have to worry about.

Garrett Smith 09-19-2009 02:23 PM

Nothing that hurts, that should be obvious.

Contrast hydrotherapy.

You might actually have to take some time off from most of your training.

Steven Low 09-19-2009 03:46 PM

I wrote this article on tendonitis that may help:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Is it on the lateral side (thumb) or medial side (pinky)? Tendonitis to the lateral side usually takes a bit longer to heal b/c of not a lot of blood flow over there unfortunately

Garrett Smith 09-20-2009 05:49 AM

Also, search this board. Tons has been posted on this topic already.

Alex Bond 09-20-2009 11:33 AM

Think of it as an opportunity to work on your back squat for a few weeks.

Gavin Harrison 09-20-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota (Post 62949)
I have wrist tendonitis from boxing, thai boxing, etc. Too much too fast, not enough rest.

Does anyone know anything I can do to speed up the healing? I can do pushups without much difficulty, kipping pullups are out of the question right now.

Help please, I want to do a physical job, train in mma, and even make typing for college not something I have to worry about.

Are you sure it's tendonitis, or does your wrist just hurt? I went to my doc when my wrist hurt a lot (limited ROM, etc, etc), he gave me a stronger version of aleve to tame some bad inflammation that was going on in my wrist. Problem solved.

Darryl Shaw 09-21-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 62956)
I wrote this article on tendonitis that may help:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Is it on the lateral side (thumb) or medial side (pinky)? Tendonitis to the lateral side usually takes a bit longer to heal b/c of not a lot of blood flow over there unfortunately

Good article Steven. I just wish someone had explained all that to me thirty years ago particularly this bit.....

Quote:

Often if you have sore joints or tendons are starting to become sore, this is when you should know that you should back off from exercise. This is often a sign of excessive volume. Continuing to train through this may often lead to more detrimental overuse, and if continued beyond that chronic overuse which is very difficult to get rid of. This will also hinder your training significantly, so it is not advisable ever to push through any type of pain.

Jason Lopez-Ota 09-25-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison (Post 62993)
Are you sure it's tendonitis, or does your wrist just hurt? I went to my doc when my wrist hurt a lot (limited ROM, etc, etc), he gave me a stronger version of aleve to tame some bad inflammation that was going on in my wrist. Problem solved.

My wrists have been injured for over a year since I had to train for the CPAT and swim test instead of resting them.

Jason Lopez-Ota 09-26-2009 11:06 AM

Alright so ice, take anti-inflammatories, light exercises, and stretches.

Contrast baths and I've heard applying heat is good also.

Anything I missed?

Steven Low 09-26-2009 01:35 PM

If you were going to do anything I would suggest the:

Rest, ice, fish oil (don't really like anti-inflams), stretching and light eccentrics.

Biggest thing is to normalize through rest and ice, then begin rehabbing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.