Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Half & Half vs. Whole Milk (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4683)

Brian Merklin 09-19-2009 05:54 PM

Half & Half vs. Whole Milk

Hey all,

I incorporate Starting Strength into my routine about every six months or so. Usually I try to get the recommended gallon of whole milk down, but as you all know it's not the easiest thing to do. On a whim the other day I checked out the nutrition facts on a quart of half & half. Turns out one quart is roughly half the cals of a gallon of whole milk, and about the same for protein. Obviously fat content is much higher. So, my question is, would it be okay to substitute half & half for milk during a mass gain cycle? Has anyone out there tried this? Results?

Cheers.

Steven Low 09-19-2009 09:59 PM

Sounds fine to me. Especially if you're one of the people who feels better on a higher fat diet.

Try it out?

garrett stack 09-20-2009 07:45 AM

I had a friend who worked in a dairy queen , he used to tell me about Samoan guys coming in and downing quarts of half + half and orange juice , maybe they were on to something :D

Martin Bonn 09-20-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrett stack (Post 62970)
I had a friend who worked in a dairy queen , he used to tell me about Samoan guys coming in and downing quarts of half + half and orange juice , maybe they were on to something :D

I used to do that....though i did drink one after the other....1L of milk and 1 of OJ...people were giving me strange looks...!

Brian Merklin 09-20-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrett stack (Post 62970)

You know, that's funny. I once visited Hawaii with a friend who was half Samoan. We enjoyed a "lunch" at their home which seemed to consist of approximately three pigs, a cow, and the entire pineapple section of the produce section of the grocery store. When I was about to push away after stuffing myself to the gills my friend caught my arm and whispered that I should keep eating. Turns out they get offended when skinny fuckers like myself tap out on food before they do.

Maybe Rippetoe should revise his nutrition information to include mass gain via the hanging-out-with-samoans diet in his next SS update!

Paul Epstein 09-21-2009 12:51 AM

Assuming normal milk doesnt have some magical property due to its ratios (a tale i have read on other message boards) then of course it would work. But so would eating an avacado, nuts, olive oil etc.

I would be more tempted to make whey protein and chocolate milk mixtures. Then again, whey protein and chocolate milk with half and half would be even tastier. This thread makes me lament two things:

1. Im not a hardgainer
2. In Australia we cant get delicious food inventions such as half and half.

Andrew Meador 09-24-2009 08:05 PM

Do you get cream? Just add half cream, half whole milk. Yahtzee!

Gavin Harrison 09-24-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Meador (Post 63176)
Do you get cream? Just add half cream, half whole milk. Yahtzee!

I bet we could sell this stuff!!!11

Paul Epstein 09-28-2009 06:44 PM

to be honest i think you would actually struggle to sell that stuff down here

its hard enough to find full fat yohgurts on the shelf.