Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   USAW sports performance cert? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4724)

Ryan Alfau 10-08-2009 11:20 AM

USAW sports performance cert?

Anyone have any experience here? I enrolled in the course and received my materials a few days ago and was looking for some help on what to study for the test. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Michael McKenna 10-08-2009 02:14 PM

Just go to the class and you'll be fine; straightforward test, no suprises. Seriously. Are you going to the one in West Chester, PA?

Ryan Alfau 10-08-2009 04:56 PM

I'm headed to the one in Lakeland Fla. this Saturday and Sunday. I was a little concerned because I received my materials late for one reason or another and have had only a few days to review them. I appreciate your response, thanks alot.

glennpendlay 10-09-2009 02:49 AM

FYI, very soon, the usaw is going to stop offering this course. All the coaching courses are going to be changed...

But, the new courses will be offered first, after the new year, in the bay area...

Arien Malec 10-09-2009 09:30 AM

Who is providing them? Jim? You?

glennpendlay 10-09-2009 12:11 PM

I should be giving the level 1 course sometime in January, Mike Gattone will probably come out to assist with the level 2 in April or March.

Ryan Kyle 10-09-2009 07:24 PM

Glen,
Can you tell me anymore about how the new courses are going to work? How much of a part will athlete production play in regards to coaching promotion through the levels?
Thank,
Ryan

glennpendlay 10-10-2009 02:31 AM

Ryan,

I believe that athlete production will not play a part till you get to level 3, or regional. I might be wrong about that. I last talked to Mike Gattone 4 days ago i think, and will probably talk to him on Monday or Tuesday again. If i have more into I will gladly share it.

I do believe that the sports performance course is going bye bye, something I have argued for for a long time. Weightlifters should stick to teaching weightlifting, and not try to show people how to do plyo and med ball workouts when the people we are "showing" probably have more experience doing that then we do.

Ryan Kyle 10-11-2009 07:54 AM

Thanks Glen. I'm assuming that means you have to take the courses at level 1 and 2 before production alone can move you up?

glennpendlay 10-11-2009 01:27 PM

Ryan,

I dont believe anything is finalized yet, but I believe this will be how it goes, in fact, i think that you will HAVE to take the regional course, in addition to athlete production, to get to level 3.

Moving all the way from nothing to international level just from athlete production alone was a relatively short lived hiccup in the rules. I took all the old courses myself some years ago, but I did take advantage of the athlete production rule to get some of my assistant coaches advanced through the regional level when this rule was in effect. But it is gone now, and I dont think we will see it back.

glenn