Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Liver Health (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4769)

Matthieu Hertilus 10-22-2009 12:11 PM

Liver Health

For various reasons, I know I need to clean out the insides for lack of a better term. Anyone know any strong liver or cleansing products that will get the job done?

Jon Sikes 10-22-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus (Post 64354)
For various reasons, I know I need to clean out the insides for lack of a better term. Anyone know any strong liver or cleansing products that will get the job done?

Water?

Steven Low 10-22-2009 01:14 PM

Fasting and water.

Garrett Smith 10-22-2009 04:53 PM

Massive doses of vitamin C or magnesium oxide. Hold on to something.

FYI, the intestines can be "cleaned out" quickly. The liver cannot, it needs time and processing.

Matthieu Hertilus 10-22-2009 07:33 PM

I ask because I have been IFing but still suffer from certain symptoms such as distended stomach and low bowel movement which is why I was looking for suggestions

Thanks for the FYI Garrett

Mike ODonnell 10-23-2009 11:07 AM

Hot tea with lemon in the morning while fasting.

Mostly also ditching all the things that overload off your liver like artificial sweeteners, caffeine (esp coffee...wouldn't sweat tea), alcohol, any "unnecessary" meds (consult with your Dr if this applies)...all those fun things. Also excess PUFAs should be avoided.

Also taking milk thistle seems to be touted to be of benefit

Matthieu Hertilus 10-23-2009 11:50 AM

Thanks Mike. I've been really focusing on all those things since Sunday so I will just give it time at this point and see how my body responds.

-IFing every day @ least 15 hrs
-Longer fasts on non-training days
-Mostly Paleo foods - only non Paleo food being a protein shake I take with meals to get extra protein in, though the only sweetner in that is Stevia as it's a mix I made from proteinfactory.com
-Been taking probiotics in the morning and the evening, digestive enzymes with meals
- Just got a good fiber supplement and milk thistle as a part of a whole body cleanse. Will try those products along with my fasts (only things I take as I fast).

Anything I'm missing?

Mike ODonnell 10-25-2009 12:16 PM

Like Dr G says, there is no quick fix for the liver...just slow and steady. Sounds like you are on the right track though. If you have more intestinal issues you could also use some digestive enzymes (or some ACV).

Matthieu Hertilus 10-26-2009 08:28 AM

I use digestive enzymes as well Bio-6 Plus by Biotics Research Corporation. The one thing I'm concerned about is the fact that the cleanse kit I bought calls for a fiber supplement in the morning which has calories in it. Does that pretty much negate my fast or can I still reap the benefits of staying on my IF schedule if that's the only thing I'm taking during it? As I understand it, one of the benefits of IF is to clean out the GI tract which is part of the purpose of the cleansing system to begin with. I could be wrong obviously but I'm hoping to clear this up as I like fasting but feel as though the cleansing protocol will help as well

Mike ODonnell 10-26-2009 09:51 AM

I think most all "detox" kits are a sham....as the body detoxes at it's own rate. That and you should have enough fiber with your fruits/vegetables. Excess fiber can also be an irritant...like using sandpaper on the inside of your gut.

Just keep it slow and steady over the long haul and you should be ok.