Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Supplements (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Taurine + ZMA (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480)

Steve Shafley 02-05-2007 06:46 PM

Taurine + ZMA

Taurine is, if anything, even cheaper than ZMA. At Beyond-A-Century it's 300 grams for $5.75, and it's completely tasteless.

I find that if I use 6-9 grams of L-taurine with the ZMA that I don't have that window of opportunity with regards to getting to sleep.

If you have this problem, and I know a few of you do, try taking 9 grams of taurine before bed. If that works, titrate it down to the least effective dose. IIRC, 1 teaspoon = ~3 grams of L-taurine.

For some reason the L-taurine itself helps me with sleep. At one point in time I knew why, but I don't anymore, and I'm too lazy to look it up at this time.

Cheap fix for a common problem.

Mike ODonnell 02-05-2007 07:19 PM

"Taurine also functions as a neuroregulator and nerve cell growth factor. It promotes a calming effect by inhibiting the release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, and stimulating the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Taurine increases the production of serotonin and melatonin by stimulating the activity of N-acetyltransferase, resulting in normalization of sleep and nerve functioning."

or something like that....good tip

Robb Wolf 02-06-2007 06:56 AM

Good stuff! I forgot about Taurine...used it years ago. MOD- you big smarty pants!

Mike ODonnell 02-06-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Wolf (Post 4350)
MOD- you big smarty pants!

My evil plan is working....thanks to Google and Cut and Paste technology I appear to become the ruling expert so only to sell more of my E-Books....wait....am I thinking out loud again....damn unfreezing process...

Ronnie Ashlock 02-06-2007 07:35 AM

Is this the same taurine that's touted as the magical ingredient in Red Bull (and has it's origins from bull liver but is now synthesised in labs)?

Allen Yeh 03-14-2007 10:49 AM

Steve,

How has the taurine+ZMA going for you? I just switched to the biotest brand ZMA last week and the past 2 nights if I get woken up at all I'm awake for hours, tired but unable to fall asleep.

I was originally taking the GNC ZMA (2 months) which was Zinc arginate as opposed to the biotest brand which is aspartate. That's the only difference really between the 2 products, I think.

Steve Shafley 03-15-2007 05:07 AM

I ran out of taurine.

I've been taking care to really make sure I get to sleep in the window of opportunity.

Derek Simonds 04-08-2007 12:06 PM

I started taking ZMA 3 nights ago. The first night slept like a log, second night woke up once or twice and last night was just crazy. I was up and down all night long. Really vivid sleep / dream sequences. I wasn't exhausted this morning just didn't sleep like normal.

I also seem to be much more thirsty and drinking water more often. I will keep going to see how it washes out.

I went with the Vitamin Shop brand and it is Zinc Asperate

Robert Allison 04-08-2007 12:49 PM

I've been taking ZMA for about three weeks now. It has improved the quality of my sleep, and helped with recovery. About two weeks ago, I started taking about 2 g of taurine along with the ZMA. It seems to prevent some of the problems with waking up during the night, but I still had crazy dreams.

I also ran out of the taurine... I may try that brand Steve recommended. It is less expensive than the stuff I picked up at the local health food store.

Dave Van Skike 04-09-2007 07:39 PM

Good tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shafley (Post 4343)
Taurine is, if anything, even cheaper than ZMA. At Beyond-A-Century it's 300 grams for $5.75, and it's completely tasteless.

I find that if I use 6-9 grams of L-taurine with the ZMA that I don't have that window of opportunity with regards to getting to sleep.

If you have this problem, and I know a few of you do, try taking 9 grams of taurine before bed. If that works, titrate it down to the least effective dose. IIRC, 1 teaspoon = ~3 grams of L-taurine.

For some reason the L-taurine itself helps me with sleep. At one point in time I knew why, but I don't anymore, and I'm too lazy to look it up at this time.

Cheap fix for a common problem.

Smart. Will give that a try.