Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mass (A)gain Success (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4824)

Peter Haas 11-13-2009 03:49 PM

Mass (A)gain Success

Final Results from doing 10 weeks of the Mass (A)gain program.

Start Date: 8/17/09
End Date: 10/14/09

Stat: new (old)
Bodyweight: 197lbs (180)lbs
Back Squat 1RM: 160(140)kg or 352(308)lbs
Front Squat 1RM: 140(120)kg or 308(264)lbs
Press 1RM: 90(80)kg or 198(176)lbs
Push Press 1RM: 120(105)kg or 264(231)lbs
Snatch 1RM: 102(100)kg or 224(220)lbs

Nutrition: Tried to follow a high fat paleo diet, but that was really hard to keep up with the calories. So I switched to a base paleo + pizza buffets :) I pretty much tried to eat ridiculous foods in ridiculous amounts. I tried to add 1/2 gallon of milk in but I did not tolerate that very well. Tried to follow a simple rule of thumb: If I wasn't absolutely stuffed I needed to eat again. So I was eating lots of protein, some veggies/fruit, lots of pasta/potato/rice/starches, and lots of full fat dairy. Interestingly, I felt that the larger the proportion of paleo foods that I ate, the more mass I put on.

Final thoughts: Well worth it. This is my first step towards my overall goal: qualifying for the 2010 US Open in the 85kg class. I put on weight and got stronger. My bodyfat went up a bit but I also put on muscle mass. I trained simple but hard and ate like a house. My crossfit metcon suffered a bit (290 in FGB4), but that really wasn't part of the goal. Overall really happy with the training template and the results.

Next step: Whatever Coach Reeve up at Wake Forest University tells me to do. He has graciously agreed to help me with my technique and programming. We are looking at doing competition lifts 4x/week with front and back squat added in. He would like to use some programming techniques that have helped his athletes achieve good numbers (he has athletes my size power cleaning >300lbs).

Aaron Austin 11-14-2009 06:39 AM

Nice results Peter! Awesome gains on both bodyweight and your lifts. Hopefully I'll be posting a similar testamonial near Christmas. I'm going to try out the mass gain template from Greg's book Day 1 lifting is today after one week of eating big on my 5/3/1 deload week. I've found the same as you - very hard to eat 100% paleo and get all the calories I think I need. I also brought potatoes, rice, whole milk, and some sprouted bread back as part of my diet - thouroghly confusing the rest of my family :) Best of luck with your Olympic lifting those 85ers can move some awesome weight a local university guy can do 140 & 180!

Mike ODonnell 12-01-2009 04:52 PM

Milk (raw) is "natural" but maybe not "Paleo"approved....as many naturally living people still drink raw milk (esp goat). Old school BB and Strongmen swear by raw milk (along with everything else like eggs, fish, red meat, veggies, fruits, etc).

Nice job Peter and good luck with the meet!

Mike Kelley 11-16-2010 11:12 AM

what sort of "core training" did you do and on what days? The program says 4-5/week, I'm just at a loss for what is best and which days to do it on.

Jarod Barker 11-16-2010 03:26 PM

Wow, great work! Have you tested your clean yet?

Grissim Connery 11-17-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelley (Post 83087)
what sort of "core training" did you do and on what days? The program says 4-5/week, I'm just at a loss for what is best and which days to do it on.

the exercises he listed probably taxed his core adequately.