Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Zone and activity level (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4839)

Troy Kerr 11-19-2009 07:10 AM

The Zone and activity level

When following the Zone, as one's body fat and weight drop, the zone recommends that you should drop your overall blocks as I'm sure you are all aware of.
My goal is to get my bf% below 10. As of last friday I am at 11. My BW is 172lbs. According to the block calculator my ideal weight is somewhere around 153lbs.
I currently follow a MWF gymnastic program, but plan on switching to a 4-day schedule next week.
The block calculator puts me at 15 blocks for my MWF, and 17 for a 4-day/week program.

I do have any metcon in my workouts. So my question is , when following a gymnastic, aka strength ( work,rest) protocol...how should I go about gauging my activity level? I hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advance.

Steven Low 11-19-2009 07:23 AM

If you eat Paleo when you're hungry you will probably drop to your optimal weight.

I don't really trust Zone or any system to do good calculations... just what your body tells you.

Mike ODonnell 11-19-2009 10:04 AM

Drop the zone....eat enough whole food carbs for energy.....recover with more protein on off days....add in some IF and lower intensity activity to burn fat....thank me later for helping to set you free from being OCD. :)

Troy Kerr 11-19-2009 10:51 AM

Steven- I do not experience any significant hunger between meals, only mild grumbling. However I heard on Robb Wolfs first podcast : The Paleolithic Solution, that decreased insulin levels over timecan lead to decreased hunger and can lead to can cause some athletes to consume less calories on some days. I just want to make sure that even though I am not getting hungry that I am still getting adequate nutrition.

Some reasons why I prefer the zone:

a) Gives me guidelines as to how much to eat, days I have gone paleo I find myself eating the same portion sizes, or worried about getting too much to lean out on.

b) I am Type 1 Diabetic, the portion sizes on the zone help to keep my blood sugars consistent and allow me to gauge the carbs more accurately. I am also in school and work in evenings so it has not given me a day to exp. with IF and adjusting my insulin levels for a fast.

Not trying to argue with either of you Mike and Steven. Until my break mid-December I plan to stick w/ the paleo-zone.

With that in mind, do you still agree with my decision or offer a different recommendation?

Derek Weaver 11-19-2009 03:18 PM

I'm guessing that the zone calculator is meaning that you have 153 lbs. of LBM rather than total optimal bodyweight.

172 lbs @ 11% bf leaves you with approx 153 lbs of lbm (as in weight of everything except fat) and ~19 lbs of fat.

17 total blocks is going to run you somewhere around 476 cals of protein, 612 cals of carbs (assuming you're going straight Zone 40-30-30) and approx 476 cals of fat for a total of approx 1564 cals/day. Round it up to 1600 or so.

Assuming you've got an average lifestyle of a student and don't lounge around all day or work a desk job like me, your maintenance range for calories is likely to be 14-16 cals/lb of total bodyweight. 172 x 15 calories ( to split the difference ) likely falls around 2580. Now, I don't know what Type 1 diabetes may do with that equation in terms of expenditure, but even if you've got a lower overall activity level and/or just have a lower caloric expenditure for whatever reason (thyroid function etc.) and we go with 13 cals/lb we still get 2236 just to maintain.

So, in a very long winded way, I think the answer is neither. If anything your metabolic rate may be slowing a touch due to heavily sub maintenance calories.

Of course, none of this is professional opinion and shouldn't be taken as advice superceding or in place of a trained medical professional

Mike ODonnell 11-19-2009 03:58 PM

Much of determining a personalized nutritional program that works....is going to be trial and error. Zone gives a good place for many to start....from there people transition to a Paleo food approach (as they know portion sizes already in their head)....and then some may experiment into different plans (IF, Warrior Diet, etc.).

As a diabetic, I would say quality of food is of course a priority and avoiding processed carbs.

Keep with what you are at if it is working, change things up little by little if it is not. Then work you way into experimenting with different approaches once you feel comfortable. Too much at once may just set you back (or could be dangerous with existing medical conditions).

Troy Kerr 11-19-2009 06:12 PM

Derek- Much appreciated for the calculations on the calories! I have been following a base zone, subbing much of my carb. blocks out for fat following the 3xfat per block of carbs. I typically follow base-zone for 3-4 weeks, then up the fat 2x-3x for 2 weeks. What do you think on this approach?

Derek Weaver 11-24-2009 08:04 PM

Sorry, I just saw this again. When you say you follow base zone and then you up the fat to 2-3x for 2 weeks... are you talking about cycling the calories that way? Or are you saying that you go standard Zone 40-30-30, then start subbing carbs out in favor of fat and then going 2-3x from there and staying constant?

Troy Kerr 11-26-2009 03:37 PM

Paleo-zone always, and cycling the calories with the 2-3x the fat.

Jay Ashman 11-27-2009 02:18 PM

zone = no