Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Homemade deadlift kit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5079)

Patrick McIntosh 01-24-2010 09:17 PM

Homemade deadlift kit

I'm broke to the point where a barbell setup isn't going to happen. I've got some rough ideas in my head about building something like two 'pads' constructed of 4x4's and 2x4's big enough to stack concrete bags onto connected by steel pipe. I'm sure something like this has already been done and was looking for ideas.

James Evans 01-25-2010 04:42 AM

I don't want to do a 'tell you something completely different to what you're asking'* but would you not find a home made sandbag far more versatile than a DIY DL set up.

Consider the return of being able to do many exercises until your financial situation changes and allows you to expand your equipment and doing one bastardised variant ad nauseum.

Just an idea - www.rosstraining.com has instructions.

* see classic "Q. I'd like to buy some kettlebells, please advise. A. Get an Olympic bar and bumpers" type threads at CrossFit boards, Ross' forum and a thousand other places across the webosphere.

Garrett Smith 01-25-2010 06:06 AM

Patrick,
A new 300# BB set at Play It Again is like $99, which means that Craigslist has them even cheaper. A "standard" sized set is probably even less.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 01-25-2010 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 69679)
Patrick,
A new 300# BB set at Play It Again is like $99, which means that Craigslist has them even cheaper. A "standard" sized set is probably even less.

Indeed. Go for a craigslist bar/iron set before you start crafting crazy homemade contraptions.

James Evans 01-25-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III (Post 69680)
Indeed. Go for a craigslist bar/iron set before you start crafting crazy homemade contraptions.

I'm sure I read that Rob Shaul said he'd picked up a barbell set for $50 while working away from home - he'd do complexes in his hotel room.

Once again, economy of return.

Patrick McIntosh 01-25-2010 07:55 AM

Crafting crazy homemade contraptions is half the fun!

OK, I had no idea used sets were so cheap, I'll check them out.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 01-25-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick McIntosh (Post 69689)
Crafting crazy homemade contraptions is half the fun!

OK, I had no idea used sets were so cheap, I'll check them out.

Haha, I know it. I tried making a "back extension machine" that was essentially a padded board that could lay across the pins of my rack so that I could do back extensions on it.

The thing is heavy and cumbersome, but I suppose does the job. Ended up spending like $70 on it. A little more and I could have gotten a real one, ha!

Garrett Smith 01-25-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III (Post 69694)
Haha, I know it. I tried making a "back extension machine" that was essentially a padded board that could lay across the pins of my rack so that I could do back extensions on it.

The thing is heavy and cumbersome, but I suppose does the job. Ended up spending like $70 on it. A little more and I could have gotten a real one, ha!

Again, a Craigslist example. I got a used hyperextension/Roman chair bench (that worked for GHD sit-ups too) off Craigslist for $50. Sure, it was brown vinyl and chrome, straight from the 70s, but it is bulletproof and works well, no labor on my part required!

Become one with the sporting goods section of Craigslist, your home gym will love you for it.

And I got my parents one of these, brand new, off Craigslist for $99 (retails for $400)...http://www.somasport.com/

Ken Rich 01-25-2010 10:34 AM

Here's a handy trick from Wired to use with craigslist.

…Pwn Craigslist

If you just search craigslist, prepare to get aced out of some great apartments, torchiere lamps, and big-boned, er, companions. Check it: Every craigslist query is XML-enabled, which means it can power an RSS feed. And if you enter search parameters for, say, a beige 1982 Camaro for less than $500 (still a rip-off), the resulting Web address will be the same every time. Click the RSS button on the bottom right of the page. Use this to your junk-hunting advantage by pasting the URL into your RSS reader, so any new post that meets your criteria will show up there instantly.

Ken

Blair Lowe 01-25-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

A new 300# BB set at Play It Again is like $99, which means that Craigslist has them even cheaper.
Hmm, I think this unlikely. Sport Chalet and other sports stores generally carry these for $200. Maybe on CL, you'll find them cheaper, but I rarely see them under 3 digits. This also depends on where you are located in the US. Looking for a set for a guy I know in Oklahoma was very trying because of population. He would've had to drive 2-4 hours to find a set under $200.

At the local used fitness store, they do carry standard 1" plates for 30c/lb. Of course, I live in a city with 1-2 million people.

You may be able to pour two buckets of concrete or multiple buckets of concrete and then stand on something to get better depth for something like a trap bar DL.

Bag of sand at home depot is 5 bucks. Get some ducktape and you have yourself a fine sandbag.

If you made the molds, I'm sure you could pour concrete and stick some sort of handles in it to do DL with.