Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Exciting news for me (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509)

Cassidy Drake 02-11-2007 10:00 PM

Exciting news for me

Well for a few years now I have been friends with Ron Dayley the owner of www.ssfgear.com they sponsor MMA fighters such as Sean Sherk, Brad Morris, Debi Purcell and a few others.

Anyways, he is opening a fully functional MMA gym in Clarksville, Tenn(45 mins NW of Nashville, where Fort Cambell is located). Today I was told that I will be the S&C coach for the gym, along with running the kids MMA program, much along the lines of the way SBG runs theirs.

Anyways this is also great because I will now get to finish my bachelors in Psychological development and theory like I had wanted to do. So to some here it might not sound like much. But this is a dream come true opportunity for me.

Thanks for listening.

Allison Barns 02-11-2007 11:24 PM

That's wonderful! Congratulations!!

Yael Grauer 02-11-2007 11:25 PM

That's awesome!!!!

Steve Liberati 02-12-2007 05:57 AM

That is great to hear...when you do something you truly enjoy and are passionate about...you're destined to be successful. Sounds like the case here.

Cassidy, based on your experience...do you think a degree in exercise science or the like is a absolutely necessary for someone interested in becoming a S & C Coach for hs or small college?

Although I would seriously consider the prospect of a becoming a full-time S & C Coach, I couldn't possibly see myself going back to school to get another degree. One time around was enough for me:)
Just curious, how many years of experience did you have before this opportunity presented itself?

Anyway, congrats again on the news....sounds pretty darn exciting for ya.

Mike ODonnell 02-12-2007 07:50 AM

Congrats!!

Steve I would say get the NSCA-CSCS cert and no one will question your background.

Cassidy Drake 02-12-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Liberati (Post 4621)
That is great to hear...when you do something you truly enjoy and are passionate about...you're destined to be successful. Sounds like the case here.

Cassidy, based on your experience...do you think a degree in exercise science or the like is a absolutely necessary for someone interested in becoming a S & C Coach for hs or small college?

Although I would seriously consider the prospect of a becoming a full-time S & C Coach, I couldn't possibly see myself going back to school to get another degree. One time around was enough for me:)
Just curious, how many years of experience did you have before this opportunity presented itself?

Anyway, congrats again on the news....sounds pretty darn exciting for ya.

Well I don't even know if you want to consider me full time lol. A lot of my work will go into the childrens MMA program. That's my passion. I also happen to be good at making workout programs for MMA athletes using many different modalities to get them there. Such as WSBB, GVT, or MetCon Principles. Coupled with guerilla cardio etc.

None the less, I'm going to get my NSCA, for myself not for anyone else. In all honesty, I haven't been certified by any org in over six years. I went in the military back in 2000, and never re-certified again. I have been training sport karate, and MMA athletes on my own now though for over 12 years. With that time has come expriance etc, that has made me to where I am in the S&C enviroment in the MMA and boxing market.

But my undergrad study has little to do with S&C other than neurological carry over. I am studying Cognitive Studies, and going to do my post grad work in Developmental Science. So really the mind, thought process, group thought, mind control, nirvana, and maya, that's what truelly interest me. I just happened to be good at something and someone wants to pay me for it, while I study my true passion, and it makes me able to take care of my daughter financially and emotionally more so than ever before.

George Carlin said "if you work a job that you truelly love, then I am convinced you never really WORK another day in your life" I think there is a lot of truth to that.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Steve Liberati 02-12-2007 02:24 PM

Ironically, I was just debating whether to register for the June NSCA certification. I think I just might now.

Thanks both for the push.

Cassidy Drake 02-12-2007 02:27 PM

Go for it. I know a bunch of people with English degrees etc, that have done extrememly well as trainers etc.

Cassidy Drake 02-12-2007 02:31 PM

My newest blog, i didn't spell check it yet though, sorry i was in between classes lol

http://mmakids.blogspot.com/

Steve Liberati 02-12-2007 07:18 PM

Cool, I'll check out.

About the degree...its really ashame you need a piece of paper these days just to tell someone you are competent. But as the saying goes, if I knew then what I knew now....I would have done things differently.

Oh well no regrets...how many people truly know what they want to do when they graduate HS anyway? Probably not many. That quote by George Carlin definately rings true...