Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Combat Sports (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I made up a choke (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5160)

Jason Lopez-Ota 02-18-2010 10:28 PM

I made up a choke

Ive never seen anyone else do this choke.

Its an armless arm triangle basically, instead of a legless leg triangle.

I showed some dudes the choke at a BJJ class. Im posting incase I really did make up a new choke so I can take credit for it.

Video will be up later, so you guys can check it out and let me know if I created one.

Grissim Connery 02-22-2010 09:03 AM

sounds like an ezekial, nogi clock choke, a darce variation, or a neck crank. i'd have to see it to actually know.

i wouldn't used the words "i made ____ up." blackbelts will laugh at you and either point out that it's either been done before or it's crap. whenever i ask a high level guy something like that, i phrase it as "i've been playing around with something. do you think it's credible?" I ask it like this because i am always under the assumption that somebody has done it before, and the only reason that i haven't seen something like it before is because there's some terrible flaw in it and thus nobody teaches it.

yesterday i actually heard a funny story about something like this. one of our main blackbelts gave a private lesson to some guys who do backyard grappling. he had some ridiculous position called the half lotus guard (like the yoga position?) it looked kinda like you would play x-guard on one ankle and wrap both hands around that same ankle as well. apparently his friends couldn't get out of it (of course). the blackbelt said, "ok, i'm going to give you 10 minutes to first see if you can even get me in it."

after 10 minutes of futile attempts, the blackbelt told him that the guard was shit, you couldn't get to it, if he got there, he couldn't do anything from there, and in the rare case that the guy got it, the only thing he had to do to pass it was push the knee open.

random anecdote, but it's just a funny story.

Gant Grimes 02-23-2010 07:48 AM

Backyard grappling. LOL.

Grissim Connery 02-24-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 71434)
Backyard grappling. LOL.

Theoretical chat with a backyard grappler:

Backyard grappler: Yeah, I know all the submissions.
Me: Ok...How do you escape side control?
BG: I just push him off of me. Nobody can hold me down.
Me: I see...

Gant Grimes 02-24-2010 02:16 PM

Dammit, I have that conversation every couple months. Here's the most recent one:

Me: We start out each class with several rounds of ne-waza, or groundfighting.
XXL Tap-out shirt-wearing guy: Yeah, we're good on that. I'm really good with subs.

M: Really? Where did you learn.
T: Oh, we watch some UFC and then practice on each other.

M: Ok.
T: So what are the rules?

M: You know what? You can try to do whatever you want. I would just recommend you try to work some technique and not just strength.
T: Ok, man.

(20 seconds later)

T: What the F was that?
M: Baseball choke. Didn't Joe Rogan cover it?

Joe Hart 02-24-2010 02:51 PM

This sounds really naive...there are people that are like that? That just baffles me that some one could be that much of a meathead to think that watching UFC makes you even somewhat of a grappler. Oh well.

Grissim Connery 02-25-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Hart (Post 71509)
This sounds really naive...there are people that are like that? That just baffles me that some one could be that much of a meathead to think that watching UFC makes you even somewhat of a grappler. Oh well.

This is the bane of my athletic life.

I feel that I spend most of my time frustrated about how much shit I still don't know in grappling. Meanwhile these guys apparently have already got it all figured out. these are the street credentials to prove that you know grappling:

1. Tribal/skull/barbwire tattoos
2. shaved head/mohawk/something ridiculous
3. tattoo shirts (tapout, affliction, warrior, etc.)

Extra credit
1. sleeveless shirt

to put it in a more real world sense, if you go to a tournament, there is an inverse relationship between skill level and the before mentioned criteria. high level guys just look like normal dudes; normal like they're dressed to eat at a cookout. the dude who looks like an animal preppin for his match is most likely about to step out onto to novice division to prove his shit.

I could catch flak for saying this, but the worst are cops.

Jason Lopez-Ota 03-02-2010 11:03 AM

I checked this choke with a purple belt. He said it was an armless triangle. I looked it up and an armless triangle is done with your legs.

I need to make a video. Next time I go to that class. I was there for a sample class.

Jason Lopez-Ota 06-13-2010 06:01 PM

I saw a variation of it used in the UFC.

Haha well I'll make up a choke later.